Buying a bass upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by host, Jan 25, 2001.

1. host

Jan 25, 2001
    I am looking for advice. I was in the music store and played a new warwick corvette standard (5-string)fretted and an unfretted. They really played great. They had a price tag of $1250 each. Before I spend that much $, what other comparable basses should I check out? Also, for what could I realistically expect to sell my Westone Pantera x-750 bass? Thanks for the help.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're hot to drop $1250, you should visit every store within a reasonable driving distance and try EVERYTHING from about $700 on up. Don't overlook "unhip" brands like Peavey, either. No sense buying the WRONG bass because of the name on the headstock.

Bring your amp if they don't have one just like it at the shop. Also bring your current bass. Otherwise you won't get a good comparison.

Feel free to listen to what other people suggest but keep in mind you may not like what they like.

Also expect to be surprised. I once spent half a day at a GC checking out high-end 5 strings (Zon, Alembic, Pedulla, Tobias, etc.) and the one I liked best overall was a used Carvin that they had on the floor :eek: Some sounded awesome but were uncomfortable to play, others played like a dream but lacked in sound.

I'm not super familiar with that Westone, but my guess would be only about $200.
    SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Hey, whaddya mean :eek: about that Carvin? Why, I oughta...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On the other hand, think about what makes a particular name on the headstock "wrong." Exceptional reputations, whether good or bad, usually have some basis in fact.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

6. I dont see all the fuss over warwicks, I cant stand them, way too "modern". At $1250, I really hope you can find a better bass.
  7. The post by brianrost is right on the money.
  8. Play every bass you can get your hands on and buy the one that speaks to you. Some times even cheap bass sound and play good but you have to find the one that suits you.
  9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

here are basses i like and would recommend that
    you try - maybe you'll like what i like!

for new - try:

- carvin LB70/75
    - musicman stingray/sterling

for used - try:

- lakland 55/94 (or 4 string version)
    - modulus Quantum series (for modern sounds)

to save some cash and still get a great bass:

- reverand rumblefish
    - G&L2000/2500

in any event - look at and

very fun to look @ all the nifty basses!

10. Ok guys I've played my westone x775 pearl white since 1986. It's had two facelifts and a new neck since. 18 volt active. First facelift was to black and handmade feetless neck. Second was to put clear green stain and clear. Still today I play it. It's never let me down. From my experiences I've found that my Pantera whips all the others. Comfortable to play and sounds monsterous. We all know how awesome the active eq and pickups sound........ Throw on a fretless neck and know how to use it...... Epic. And I tune to a not b. shame on u for wanting any other bass.
  11. triviani

Oct 23, 2010
  12. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You guys are resurrecting 14 year old thread?

P.S. I agree...14 years, and their web designs haven't changed. Shame on them. Great stores though.
  13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Redesigning a web page costs money, raises prices. What happened to 'If it ain't broke; don't don't fix it'?
  14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So improving their ancient sites won't help them sell more basses. You might have a point there, although it's really easy/cheap to spiff up a site yourself these days with available software.

Probably the best investment would be really nice pictures. Nice pictures feed GAS!
  15. Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    I like turtles.
    It would be nice if you could still pick up a new Corvette for $1200.