Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joey_three, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    Hi. I know you probably get this type of thread all the time but i want to find out before i just go and buy a new bass. Can u tell me a bass that is good for playing funk and rock (even heavy)and is under $1000. :bassist:

Thanx :hyper:

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    is this your first bass?

3. dont get an Ibanez gsr205... it sucks for rock in my opinion, especially if you drop tune ur bass and use a pedal.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im pretty sure if he has $1000 to spend he wont get a gsr205..

If you buy used you will have a lot more options, namely Ernie Ball Musicman Stingrays and Sterlings, IMO the best basses for funk and rock.

5. American Fenders! The staple of rock for that kind of cash.

6. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    jazz bass, get the geddy lee sig if you can - it does it all

7. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I agree with the Fender recommendations. Also, you might be able to find a MusicMan within your budget.

8. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    This is my second bass. umm well i was thinking more like under $700 cause i wanna buy some new equipment aswell. I wanna get a decent amp.(any suggestions for that...)

9. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    P .S. I have tried the gsr 205 and i agree it is ****.. there arent any second hand shops where i live :rollno:

10. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    ashdown all the way for amps - ive got a MAG 115 - 300 and it's loud, clear and pisses me neighbours off...very loud for the price - that my recommendation

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on ashdown.

12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    crossingpoint, despite mentioning a cheapie bass, brings up a good point. Some cheaper basses cost an arm and a leg in various countries outside the US, and perhaps he wasn't sure if our friend was a US native...though asking for advice in US dollars is a dead giveaway.

I have to agree with Ashdown. I have a MAGC210 combo and for the price, it sounds awesome.

For a $700 or so bass, here's the question- are you looking for a 4-string? 5-string? 6-string? It's possible to get a killer axe in any of those iterations at that price, though you'll be able to stretch your dollars more with a 4 or 5 string.

For some time I was considering an ESP/LTD B405 5-string in the $700 price range. Those basses are said to be of good quality, and that one had a mahogany body, maple/walnut neck, quilt top, EMGs, neck-through...

MTD (Michael Tobias Design) basses are said to be excellent (i.e. Kingston, Heir.)

There are other usual suspects like Yamaha.

13. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    Well if i had asked in my currency it would have been more complicated plus my currency is based on the us dollar so it will stay the same. umm im dunno 4 string or 5 string. i dont think i really will be playing with the 5th string but then again i might want to play with it in the future. Are fretless basses any different?(well i mean sound.)

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO if you're playing funk and hard rock just go out and get a 5 string now!!!

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd say to get a Sterling, just because its more versatile than the Stingray. Its a well built bass, and plays great. I had one but got rid of it because I wanted more versatility. Of course, this will be over your budget unless you find a used one.

As always I have to give recommendation to either a used USA G&L L-2000 or a Tribute L-2000.