Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bean, May 24, 2001.

1. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    Hello! I'm new to this forum, but not to playing bass. Please be gentle... <g>

Anyway, one of my summer projects is buying a bass guitar. I went to a shop today and tried out a lot, and absolutley fell in love with this little purple-ey blue Fender Jazz bass. It was a lot of fun to play, and sounded great.

The only problem was that it was a fretless. I personally don't like frets, but that probably comes from years of playing string bass. I loved the smooth feel of the neck, and the absence of the fret buzz I'm so awful about. But I'm afraid my Jazz band director won't like the fretless sound. I'm still in High School, and he has some say in what I buy because, after all, it's his band and I'll be using it for him. Does anyone have any advice on how I could sell him on this wonderful bass? Becides begging?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...play it well. If you can play the fretless with as much accuracy as a fretted, then you he can't have room to argue, after all, tone and character of a bass are all subjective. So if you can deal with the fretlessness of it, there should be no problem w/ your band teacher.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not to sound nit-picky at your initial post, but I thought I read that you weren't sure how he'd react...have you asked him?

4. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    He's supposed to call me, and he hasn't. He seems a little picky about what and how we play -- for example, he refuses to let my friend play with a pick...

5. It seems to me that the only person you should be trying to please when buying your instrument is yourself. A good bass that you enjoy playing will last you many years after you've graduated high school.

As for your band teacher... The way I see it, he's entitled to some say as to how you play, but as far as what you play goes, if he doesn't provide the instrument, he has no say. At least IMHO.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree with Brendan. If you play the fretless well, then I don't see why he should have a problem with it.

Ryan

7. If you like it, buy it. I got a Warwick that I play in church, and le me tell you, Warwicks are not meant for church music. If your band director doesn't like it, then play the Washburn you normally play. Really practice on the fretless, and maybe you can convince him.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If it's YOUR money, YOU buy what YOU want. He shouldn't have a say unless either he or the school is paying.

BTW, nice choice. I'm not a big Fender fan, but the fretless Jazz's sound nice!

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if that director is willing to pay fot the purchase then buy what he says, if it's you whose paying then buy what YOU like.

and anyway, whats the point in buying instrument you are not pleased with? buy what you like!

also, there shouldn't be any problem, fretless should work great in a jazz band so no reason why the director be mad at you (also ask him if a fretless would work well in your band, see what he has to say).

btw, what Fender is it? (as in mim, mia, mik, squire, mij etc.)

10. like others said, buy what YOU like!

if he starts nagging about it, just tell him that you´ll play this bass or won´t play at all....

11. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    Stupid here forgot to look. I'd assume MiM, but I'm not sure. Ha, if I buy it, I let you know.

Anyway, I talked to him tonight, and was all ready to give him a large speech with what you guys said all rolled in it, but he cut me to the punch and told me it was "absolutley" fine with him. He's less picky than I thought, I guess. Whew. We're going Tuesday to look through the shop some more (I want to be ABSOLUTLEY sure), and hopefully buy the thing. Should I post a picture, or have you seen enough pictures of Fenders around these parts?

Also, here's another nice question. While I was there, I played some fretted basses, and they sounded an awful lot like guitars. The strings felt thin, too. What was going on there?

12. Your fretless might have had flats on it. That would give it a more deep tone than most roundwounds.

13. I am a freshman in High School and I play in the school jazz band as well as marching band (ughh...). When I got a fretless Pedulla this summer my band director was pretty angry. For some reason he thought that I would do horrible, but I convinced him to let me play it in marching band, but not in the jazz band. I had HIM, not the school, buy a Fishman pickup for my upright bass, which solved the problem, and it sounds EXCELLENT. You may want to suggest that to your director.

14. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hmmm....fretless Pedulla...yamm!!

too bad there aren't any around here for me to try...

15. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    <snicker> He's already getting "the band" a pick up. But I'm the only one in the band that plays upright bass and likes it well enough to take it to class, so it's pretty much going to be mine. Ha!

By the way, I did buy the bass. Fun stuff.