Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mondo, May 18, 2002.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    I am ready to buy a new bass and would like some thoughts on basses. What i am wanting to know is what is the best bass with the widest tones for under $1800.00? I am looking for a bass that can play Funk, Jazz, Rock and really to do it all. I have been looking at some diffrent basses like Musicman sterling and Musicman stingray5, I love the tones they produce. I have also been looking at some Warwicks like the FNA jazzman and they sound great too. But i have not been able to play anyother basses out there, So if you can give me all your input on basses that can do it all for under that price range that would be cool. I am open to every bass out there and if it is under $1000.00 that is even better. Thanks All you bass kats and kittens out there!!

Mondo@bassplayer.cc

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Mondo,

If you want a bass that does it all, I think that Music Man StingRay's proved their great versatility all over the last 25 years.

If I had to buy a very versatile bass under $ 1,000, I'd go with a StingRay in a heartbeat. There are a few nice ones (used) for sale at basscentral.com, in this price range. They look quite fine.

All the best,

3. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    Thank you for your reply. Some info i left out on my first post was that i play with med to med low action, I play DR Lo-riders or DR Hi-Beams. My rig is a SWR 350 head and SWR Workingmans 4-10. I play with only my fingers and I really do not use a pick. Also I can spend up to $1800.00 US on a bass. Also i would like to know about all kinds of great basses that can cover all the tones i would like. Thanks all.

Mondo@bassplayer.cc

4. I read some reviews about people getting DP Custom basses made (www.dpcustom.com - do a search for threads on dpcustom) with the Bartolini quadcoil pickups. THey talked about how many different tones they could get out of one bass with the coil selector switches and what not. Anyway, that may not help, but it's worth a shot. Dave makes amazing basses.