Buying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barbarian, Sep 15, 2002.

1. barbarian

Sep 15, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Sorry to take a second thread for myself, but I'd like to put a different spin on my original one...

I can spend $1000 approx. on a bass guitar.

I want something that's impressive, with bass enhancers (bass/treble cut etc.) that's fretless. I've been taken in the by the idea of a 5-string fretless... Are these a good idea? If not, could you specify a model and brand of bass you would recommend. Feedback would be most appreciated.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Used near mint Stingrays go for $800-900. Tough to find a better 34" fretless. Lakland Skyline might be what you are looking for if you like 35s.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For that kind of money, I'd seriously consider EVERYTHING you can find! Go try out everything, and do so more than once. Then, by process of elimination, you'll come up with what you really want.:D

There are a lot of great basses on the market, both new and used for your price range. It really depends on what feels best TO YOU, sounds best TO YOU, and even looks best TO YOU!;) Once you've limited down the numbers out there, feel free to ask specific questions. You'll get specific answers to those questions, rather than generalized stuff like "Buy this because it's the best"...that'll get you nowhere.;)

Oh...and 5-string fretless is a fine idea, just as fine as any.:D
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Adrian, you got PM...