Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a Bossa 4 string....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apostle, Apr 10, 2002.

1. apostle

apostle

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Bossa 4 string, but
    I know little about them and can't find many reviews on them out there in cyber world. I believe they are hand made in Japan, but outside of that I am clueless...they are beautiful to look at an appear to have high end features, but I have never played one before...it has 18volt active pre amp. It is a toss up between this and a G & L L-2000....any guidance or information would be greatly appreciated....

Apostle

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't know much about them either. There's a gorgeous one on bunnybass here. In fact when I mentioned this one on TB, the current owner contacted me, asking whether I wanted to buy it.

3. They are much rarer than G&L's, and are very high quality. I've wanted to try one for a long time.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a five-string for sale at Bass Alone. I can't be certain, but it looks like a 35" plus scale.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Bossa 5 is Nathaniel Phillips' main ax. He was the bassplayer for 70's / 80s bands Pleasure and Dazz.

I saw him live in a Dazz concert last year. That bass sounded great for slap and finger-style funk. Nice body top with matching wood pick up covers.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I've tried many bossa basses and owned one Tune TWB 6.

If u know Tune basses, I can say that bossa are very similar. Of course models are different but I could bet that they are manufactured in the same "factory" or share some parts.

Electronics are the same unless bossa basses feature a phase switch. Truss rods and neck construction are the same on both brands.

Quality is equal for tune and bossa even if bossa are much more expensive.
    I would say that a G&L L2000 are more reliable than a bossa in terms of construction.

Bossa basses feature a very modern sound.

JP