Buying a bow via internet

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by kontri, Oct 7, 2003.

1. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002

I'm looking for professional bow. I've been searching via internet since there's nothing interesting in Copenhagen. My question is, when two bows have different prices but are from the same maker and quite identical. What makes the difference?

Is it something only a maker can see but a player can't feel?

Thanks, Kristján
  2. The internet is a great place to get information, but not such a great place to buy a bow, especially a professional grade bow. I assume you are looking for a pernambuco bow. Because it is made from wood, every wood bow is different. Two bows that look to be identical by the same maker can, and do, play quite differently. Once you get above a certain level, the bow trimmings are what makes the difference in price. This refers to the wrapping and the metal parts on the bow frog. Siver fittings are usually the first big upgrade, then gold. The most expensive bows may even have exotic frogs made from tortoiseshell or ivory.

When I ran my retail violin shop, I would frequently purchaced bows in lots of six. It was not at all unusual for all of the bows to have a different weights and balance points even though they were from the same maker. Do yourself a big favor by avoiding the internet for buying your bow. The advice that you should not buy an instrument without trying it first applies even more so to a professional grade bow.
  3. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Thanks for the reply and a good answer.

I would never have bought it through the internet without trying it. But I thought maybe there was a possibility of lending it before buying, but I guess that's kinda risky for the dealer.

About the much do the fittings matter? I'm not asking about price but quality. For some reason I love the look of silver fittings but how much does it effect the sound or balance of the bow?

Thanks, Kristján
  4. The silver fittings are generally put on the better bows. I seriously doubt if the lower end bows are even checked for balance. They are commodity items. Silver is some what heavier than plated wire and can have a greater effect on the balance. In addition, silver windings is less likely to be affected by the acids in your skin and will probably last longer.

You are never going to know what a good bow feels like until you've tried a lots of them. While it is true that there are companies on the internet that will let you try bow with the option to return them, that does not equal being able to try a dozen or more bows and then choosing from the best of the bunch. Your best bet is to search for as many bow dealers as you can find and try all you can before you buy.
  5. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Thanks again

It seems like I have to travel to find my future bow. Closest countrys would be Sweden and Germany and since I play french bow Germany is probably not the place to go.

I've tried some bows of my friends and I know how my bow schould feel and look. I have a precise idea of it so that will probably make the search even harder.

But anyway...thanks for your info, it is very helpful.
  6. I've seen a lot of very nice french style bows come out of Germany.
  7. Originally posted by COUNTRY:
    "Closest countrys would be Sweden and Germany and since I play french bow Germany is probably not the place to go."

I´ve seen a lot of very nice french fries come out of Germany too...

I just had to post this.

they are coming to take me away ha-ha-