Buying a carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rygel45, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    I'm looking to buy a Carvin LB70. What kinds of wood do you recommend/why?Also, what are your opinions on the p-series upgrade? Thanks a lot.
  2. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I have a 2002 LB70 (among several other Carvins) that I just love. Sounds good, plays great. It does not have the P series upgrade, though.

The finish is Harlequin Prismatique, which I dig (but I seem to be in the minority). Not evident is the 5-piece neck - highly recommended! According to myth, a 5-piece neck will be more stable in the long run, less likely to twist or warp (which is pretty rare in the first place).

My 2003 BB76P does have the P series upgrade. If I had known how cool this was, I'd've ordered it on the LB70. It gives an acoustic-like sound by itself, and adds more tone when blended in with the other pups.

The dual HB6 pickups really sound great, as well. Anything I order in the future will have that configuration - dual alnicos, and the piezo bridge. Very sweet.

As for wood - that's really a personal choice. I love koa, for the looks, and the warmth of sound, but alder is a bit brighter. I also personally love the quilts, versus the plain tops or the flamed tops (although I have those, as well). The only thing I don't have, so I can't comment on, is a swamp ash model - but it's on the list!

3. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I don't have near as many basses as Kevin (Carvin or otherwise). But I do have an LB70 and I do have a couple of P-Series basses.

The LB70 was my main bass from late '89 until earlier this year when it was replaced by my BB75P. (I still have it. It just doesn't get played as much as the new five-string.) And the LB70 is still the bass I'm most comfortable with. It just feels "right." Poplar sides, which they don't offer anymore, but poplar was the standard wood at the time. I think alder is pretty similar to poplar. Maple neck. Stacked humbucking pickups similar to the current H50N. Very nice sound, but a bit on the bright side for some people unless I add a some lows with the bass EQ, or with the EQ on the amp.

My BB75P, the new main squeeze, has koa sides, maple/koa neck, HB humbucking bridge pickup and H50N stacked humbucking neck pickup (instead of the usual J99 single-coil). And it has the piezo bridge. The koa has a warmer sound, or it may be the pickups. The piezos really sweeten the high end when blended with the magnetic pickups.

I think the pickup selection has a lot more to do with the tone than the woods, but the woods do affect it also.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My LB75P will be here hopefully next week, what was your expirence with the bass getting adjusted to the new enviorment and how soon should i start adjusting it. Where your bass sent before or on time. Thanks

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I have a 1998 Koa LB-70 that I absolutely love. It has the best neck geometry I've ever played. When I bought it the p-series upgrade was not available. Since then though, I bought an AC-40F, semi hollow fretless that has a piezo bridge pick-up that sounds fantastic. If you've got the money, get it. You can always switch it off if you don't care for it.
  6. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Let it settle for a few days before you start tweeking the truss rod or bridge.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to rain on your Carvin parade....but I wish I had gone with a lower-end Spector when I decided to get my pimped-out Carvin LB-75.

Since then, a Lakland Skyline or a G&L Tribute are other choices that have come about and put my Carvin to shame for about the same money.
  8. Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    thanks...I guess the best way to make the decision is to play them with different setups at the carvin store...but the suggestions were very helpful
  9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't personally think the piezo pickups are worth the extra cost, but strictly a matter of opinion. You might go with the J99's so if you don't like the tone you can easily swap them for duncans or barts.

As far as wood options, swamp ash is good, as is koa, walnut, alder, get the idea....:)

Have fun picking options.