Buying a DB in HAVANA (Cuba)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ejuzek, Jun 27, 2004.

1. :confused: Hello To all... recently I had a business trip to Havana, and notice several musicians performing in clubs and streets with European Basses (very Old). Did not have time to ask how much, when, how, etc... I´m thinking of coming back. Any Advice? I may come down with my Luthier (Due to Mileage Accrual, Thanks ONEPASS).

2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I'm not clear - you mean you are trying to get them to sell their instruments to you? Hmmm... (wheels are turning).
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    This is kinda guessing, but you might have to get them into the U.S. (if that's where you're going) through Mexico or Canada or something - which would be a serious hassle, lots of bux shipping the things all over hell, plus everybody is going to want their chunk in taxes.

I would think that there are lawyers that specialize in import/export laws. Time to hit the yellow pages?
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I see you're in Panama. This might be less complicated than the U.S.

Hey, were you at the Danilo Perez concert right after the U.S. extraction of Noriega by any chance?
  5. Yep. I was here. Pretty Funny Stuff. Danilo best known as Cholo, I have attended one clinic, he´s a hell of a musician.
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I'm a customs broker who can give some advice here.

Don't do it. Taxes, shipping, breakage.... your only hope is to take it on the plane with you and have a customs broker meet you at the airport and let them sort out the documents. Not an easy way to grab a bass. Not suggested. With all the charges added up, it may cost as much as the bass.

PM me with any questions.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I was down there with him (and Jorge Rossy) to do a series of concerts and got there the night before it invasion started. We got stuck there for four or five weeks. We did finally end up playing at some club after things settled down. I have no idea what the name of the place was, but it was a magical evening!
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If I got to Cuba with a Double Bass and return with a different one, how would anyone but me and the person that I swapped with know the difference, especially since the bass was not manufactured in Cuba?
  9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Great idea Phil...time to go to Cuba with a Palatino or another CCB...