1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying a fEARful without ever hearing one..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by :DChilis:D, Jul 23, 2012.

1. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    Deb had his 15/6/1 Nidacore on sale in the classifieds, I've never heard one and decided to take the plunge anyways. I did a good thing right :D:bag: ? It's a local pickup cause I know shipping cabinets is a pain.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    You did good. Real good. Some things you just gotta take on faith. :bassist:

3. :DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    my thoughts exactly

4. I bought my first from an authorized builder with out having played one. Bought my second from a member here and paid for it with out playing through it.

Trust me you have not gone wrong with this purchase.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Good on you. They aren't for everyone, but it seems most who try fEarful and similarly designed 2 or 3 way cabs with long x-max woofers never go back :)

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I built my first one when there were only a handfull in existance.
    I trusted greenboy's sonic goals to align with mine.
    They did and I've never looked back.

7. I bought one from another TB member and am very pleased. These cabs sound great.

8. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I had never heard of these until I signed up here a few weeks ago...I've researched them some, but somebody give me the long/short of it...what makes them so special?

9. If your local to deb and you don't like it, PM me before you sell it again. For the price you bought it at you can't lose any $$. I have a feeling your going to be very happy. The only downside to that cab was the size. If you have the room for it, sound and weight wise, it delivers.

10. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Before you take delivery, make sure you test the cabinet thoroughly at performance volume. My AON Nidacore cab was underbraced and had tremendous vibration at certain frequencies. It rattled the edge extrusions, spring-loaded handles and tilt-casters. Also, the woofer-basket screws and plastic corner screws felt like they were barely holding. A couple of the corner screws just spun when I tried to remove them to reglue the extrusions.

YMMV (and I hope it does), but carefully check out the cabinet first.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Greg, did you get your cab sorted?

12. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Lots of info on these cabs--check out the fearful forum to learn more :D

a few reasons why these are so popular (no particular order):

- use premium drivers and xover components that would probably price cabs out of reach for typical consumer market
    - dedicated midrange driver allows you to get the most out of powerful, high-excursion LF subwoofers
    - box and port design (along with driver selection) allow you to get massive low end where many cabs will "fart out"
    - one of the few bass cabs you will find with free DIY plans

I'm sure others will chime in as well, but I'm trying not to be too "spammy"

13. :DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    I followed the build and I think Barry built it... Should I be worried?

14. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I don't build in nidacore. It is most definitely from Art of Noise.

15. :DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    My apologies it was AoN I think I should be okay. Looking forward to playing through this.

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you search you'll find a lot, but in a nutshell these are cabs with special woofers that allow them to use far more power than conventional woofers for low frequencies, and a dedicated mid driver with xover. They can also be equipped with a tweeter to taste. The result is a cab that is capable of louder, clearer and lower sound than pretty much any off-the-shelf cab. A wooden 15-6 will weigh about 55lbs but be louder, lower and clearer than a 410!!!

17. :DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    How'd you fix it?