1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a Fender MIM Jazz Bass without trying many of them.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Argojit, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Hey. I once created a topic about if Fender MIM Jazz Bass is great. Now I'm going to buy it. But I won't be able to try many of them. I'll probably only be able to just try one and buy it. But I'm scared about getting a one that is not great. In the topic people talked about feeling it and trying as much as you can. Do you guys think that It'll be bad for me to try one and buy it. What is the things that show it is bad. Like I mean specific things that show the bass is not great. I can make the bass better by I guess new strings and a great setup. But what are the things that can not be made better by setup. Thanks a lot.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The chance that there's something so wrong with it that it doesn't function properly is very low. Trying as many as you can will get you one that you might like more than others but as long as it works it'll be fine. The major red flags you want to look for are a twisted neck or broken hardware or electronics.

3. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Allright. Thanks a lot man it relieved me. I'll play the one that I'll buy and I'll definitely check the neck and the pickups. What you mean by twisted neck is i think the truss rod thing right? I'll make sure that there is no buzzing on the one that I'm going to buy.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    One thing I do when comparing different basses of the same model is checking how the E-string rings out compared to the other strings while the bass is unplugged. On a “better” sounding more resonant bass, the E-string will have more volume and clarity, and be more consistent with the other strings.

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I wouldn't worry too much about poor quality overall, but I know for me, the neck feel is quite important, and that's what really sold me on my current instrument.

6. If it sounds good , feels right and doesn't have any defects ,I'd say go for it. I have two MIM P Basses and love both of them. No problem gigging with either one. I usually gig with one and keep the other for a back up only because I keep them tuned differently. One I keep in E and the other I keep in D because that's what my main band plays in. If they were kept in the same tuning , I would probably swap them out on a regular basis but I'm too lazy to re tune them.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Things that would make it bad-
    D string is on back of the neck.
    Electrocutes you when you touch it.
    Melts at room temperature.
    Only plays Gilbert O'sullivan's 'Alone again, naturally'.
    Sobs, and whimpers all night.

Other than that, it's a good one.