Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a first bass - need help in deciding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cynic, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    ok, I'm buying a new bass, but I don't live in the US, so I have some considerations to take that someone who live in the US doesn't have.
    generally, I can do one of these two things:
    1. To buy an Essex SB-301 and to ship with my uncle that lives in US (that will cost some taxes), and not to have a customer support from the seller (I can't bring the bass back to the US only for fixing the damn pickup), and to buy an amp separately (from a local store).
    2. To buy a Cort Action 4 bass (I was told by the seller that its body is Mahogany) from a local store with an amp included, so it will cost as a complete package (this will make the whole business cheaper), and to have a customer support from that local store.

So, which option mates - #1 or #2 ?
    Thanks!

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    How do you plan to learn to play? Will you have a music teacher giving you lessons?

3. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Yes, I guess that's what I'll do.
    but what does it has to do with the question I asked above?

4. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Bumpie
    Help? please?

5. Go with the Cort, you'll be better off dealing with your local store.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The reason I ask is because it makes more sense to pick a teacher first. They can give you advice on what to buy based on your own local situation. I certainly can give you advice, but living in San Jose, CA, USA is far different than living in Israel. A local musician (teacher in this case) would know for a fact which situation is better for you.