Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying a fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Dec 15, 2004.

1. I am thinking of gettng a Fodera 4 bass, most probably a used one where most of then costed $3,000 plus.
    I wonder if Fodera the bass that would never disapoint you in terms of worthy. I never plaied one before but I like the looks of it so much, but not the imperial ofcause so I like to have some of you guys giving me some ideas.
    I know that with $3000 plus you can get many good new basses.
    Thanks and Cheers,

Chalie

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There are a few members on TB that have played Foderas and have said that they weren't all that impressed with them. Likewise, there are apparently a few Foderas out there that have less than great sounds because of the wood combinations that the owner wanted.

That said, the vast majority of opinion indicates that they are very good - excellent basses with top notch construction. At that level of quality, it is really up to you to decide whether they are worth the money. If you are experienced enough to know the sort of neck shape, frets, fingerboard radius etc that you like, and you order a FOdera to those specs, chances are you will not be disappointed.

However, if you order a "stock" Fodera, or purcahse a used one unplayed, you may be disapointed because the neck or whatever doesnt suit your needs. Again, this isn't because the bass is bad, but because it doesnt suit your personal taste.

For the price of a used Fodera, there is a huge variety of basses which you could buy new, or one or two excellent used basses. Again, whether it is worth paying extra for the looks / brand is a value judgement only you can make. But, for what its worth, a lot of people here will tell you that there are many builders out htere who make a product every bit as good as a Fodera for less money.

That said, if you have your heart set on a Fodera, then no other bass will satisfy your GAS - but I wouldnt personally buy one without having played one first.

3. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    If a Fodera is really what you have your heart set on then get a Fodera. If you don't you will probably kick yourself later. I personally would go for a Ritter,LeDuc,Marleaux or LeFay for the typical Fodera price range. With your situation I believe that you should not settle and get what you truley want.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Any bass brand can dissapoint you. There are no guarantees.

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I purchased a used 4 string Monarch neck through for 2500 last year.

It is a work of art and has a very modern sound if thats what you are looking for...forget about old school tones....

I play mine often and always dial up great tones..

The best thing would be checking one out before purchasing 3K is alot of $$$$

From a craftsmanship point from 1 - 10 ( 10 being the highest) I would give this bass a 10.

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i know of two fellow bassist who ordered foderas and didn't like them when they got them,in both cases the guy's who got them were not sure of what type of sound they were after and couldn't pull them out of that bass.one of them went on to play fender M.I.A. five strings so the sound in his head ended up being very hard to get out of the combo of wood's and pickups ect that he had choose for his fodera

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy two. No such thing as two bad Fodera's in a row. :D

Seriously.....big mistake for you to drop this kind of cash on something you have never laid your hands on.

-Mike

8. Could you tell me what kind of wood combination of your friend's Fodera? I wnat to know if I can avoid that before order my next one..

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It probably won't do you much good. In fact, it may push you away from the very combination that could work for you. If you start avoiding things based on anecdotal evidence from people you don't know...

OTOH I'll check out anything, regardless of what others think. Most of my basses are used and most of them have been sold because the previous owner thought they weren't happy with them. Sometimes the problem is something as simple as setup or strings. Sometimes it's just the player.

You can't determine sound on paper... way too many variables.

10. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Some words to make life easier:

"Try before you buy"

You'll never get your money back, even if you try and sell the next day.

It's a lot of money, and buyer's remorse is even worse.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There will always be exceptions to this:D

Woodchuck told me about this bass and I bought it without trying it out first. At $2500, even if I hated it I could easily recoup what I spent. I buy lots of instruments this way but I make myself as familiar as possibly with the instrument beforehand. Then something like my Bone Avatar pops up and I take a leap of faith:D

Attached Files:

• AJC.JPG
      AJC.JPG
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hmmm...I seem to remember someone who had played it telling you to go for it. *cough* ;)

13. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    There's definitely an echo in here. Try before you buy. If you can't try that exact bass, at least try some other Fodera's (preferably with similar wood & pickup combinations) and get a feel for them. I'd played four Fodera's before deciding they were worth the money. Then played another to keep me content while waiting for mine ;)

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Brad Johnson]It probably won't do you much good. In fact, it may push you away from the very combination that could work for you. If you start avoiding things based on anecdotal evidence from people you don't know...

i was going to say the same thing(although in a more polite way)it dosn't matter what they didn't like about the bass because i played one of them and really liked it but i didn't have a preconseived notion of what the bass was supposed to sound like.i have two custom bass's and before i had them built i thought long and hard about what i was looking for and researched what i thought would get me what i wanted and was STILL a little suprized by what i got (in a good way)

15. You are one lucky man..... :bawl:

16. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Hey Chalie. I've played a few Fodera's and really liked them. My one complaint is that they are really expensive for what they are. One that I tried was $4000 used. It sounded and played very good, and the craftsmanship was impeccable but was definately not worth $4000 used. Remember that if you spend $3000 on a Fodera, about $1000 of that is paying for the cute little butterfly on the headstock. In other words you are spending alot on the name. I think Fodera makes an awesome bass. All I'm trying to say is that you should check out all of your options.

Give these a look FBB Basses :bassist:

17. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    In my opinion, for $3000, I would rather get 2 used USA laklands. 44-94's usually go for about $1500 used.

$3000 is alot to spend on a used bass. But if fodera is what you must have, then your decision is easy.

FWIW, the standard fordera monarch I played at manny's was incredible & the victor wooten monarch was awesome too.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Of course value is relative. There are certain basses that cost 2000-4000 dollars new that I would feel I totally wasted my money on, whereas I could spend 7000 dollars on a top of the line Fodera and sleep quite well at night.

19. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The "try before you buy" moto is all dandy except when it comes to high end stuff. Even in urban areas it can be hard to find a Fodera. Guitar Center doesn't carry them - I checked. If you live in rural parts you're probably more likely to get struck by lightning and hit by a bus at the same time :D

Sometimes you need to take a leap of faith, with advice from friends on TB of course.

20. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Jared is right. Fodera's are expensive because they are reliable. But they are still expensive. I would not spend that much on a bass because I know for a fact that there are just as good sounding, playing, looking, and crafted basses out there for thousands less. If it is what you really want then get it. Just dont limit your options.