1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a G&L Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malachi71, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I'm looking at buying a used USA G&L L-2000 Fretless. According to some pictures that were sent to me, the bass looks like it is in excellent condition. What would be a fair price to pay for it?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Anywhere from $600-$900 depending on age, condition, and options.

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    It seems the used G&L's don't command high prices like some other brands even though I've found the quality to rival most anything. ''No respect" as Rodney Dangerfield would say. :meh:
    My G&L is a 1505 fretless BTW. $800. A bargain and a keeper. :smug:

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    My G&L L2500 with TI Jazz Flats is my go-to favorite bass and has been since I bought it used eight years ago for under $500. Nowadays deals are harder to find on G&Ls, but if you wait long enough, one will surface. Especially fretless, which are much less popular. In todays market, $500 to $900 may well be the going rate. $900 would have to be a custom finish with binding and minty condition, in a color you are lusting for.

G&L fretless with flats = deep, thick, surpy tone, with plenty of clarity. I don't know about rounds, I took them off immeadiately.

If you already own a fretted L2000, a fretless L2000 would be the ultimate fretless for you.

5. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I do own an L-2000 already. Does the fretless have a lot of "mwah?" Even with flatwounds?

6. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My opinion is that "mwah" on a fretless comes down to a combination of the instrument, setup, and technique. If you're not buying local to try out the bass, then ask for some sound clips. If you like what you hear, at least you know that the sound is in the instrument. You won't know until it arrives whether you can get that sound out of it with your fingers.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use rounds on mine. An '85 with an ebony board. The sounds on tap will be just like your fretted L2K. The "mwah" is up to you. Mine "mwahs" or not, depending upon how I'm playing it.

The L2K makes for a really great, really versatile fretless. I agree with the other posters on prices; $600 - 900 range is about right. If it's an older one, be certain the truss rod is operating correctly.

8. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I played a '93 or so L2000 fretless in a bass specialty store a couple months ago. It was in like new condition and was trans red over ash with slightly figured ebony board. It was lighter than usual and played, hung, balanced, and sounded exceptional at all pickup settings. It was on consignment for $799. It was gone the next day. I still kick myself about that one. Doesn't matter if it was a drop dead deal or not; I would have enjoyed having that bass for the rest of my life.

I do have a very nice 2002 ASAT semihollow fretless which also is wonderful. I would have loved having the L2K for the better balance and the more immediate sound of a solid over a semi.

And you're right about mwah tones being up to your playing. As a fretless the L2000's array of controls really come to life. I don't particularly try to cop a Jacoesque mwah sound because I can get better ones--ones that sound eerily vocal--with the L2K or ASAT. E.g., try the bridge pickup passive in serial mode.