Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a G&L LB-100 unseen ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Guys, I'm mostly a lurker here...but now I post a question. I have the opportunity to buy a G&L LB-100 from someone who will send it to me. I cannot see the bass before. The guys seems trustworthy, that's not the problem, the question is: are these basses always good, or are they "hit or miss" and do I have to check the bass out in person before buying? Or are these G&Ls always good?

I am a guitarist, actually, and I love G&L for their great guitars, I have an ASAT (guitar, not bass) which is * great *. I would buy a G&L guitar unseen every day, I'm just not sure if the basses are equally good.

Thanks in advance for your answers, Peter.

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    While in my opinion, buying "any" bass sight unseen is a risk, G&Ls are VERY consistant. I can't guarantee that you will like the sound, but assuming that the seller has not overstated the condition the build quality and playability should be excellent.

I have heard nothing but good things about the LB-100.

Good luck,
    Chris

3. I just bought a Legacy Bass (later named LB-100) unseen from a shop in Texas.

I've owned probably 20+ basses over the years (many Fenders many G&L's and a few Gibsons). I am just blown away by this bass. It's certainly the best P bass I've ever played.

As for G&L, this is my 5th one and all have been really well made IMO. Of the others I've seen and played anywhere, they've all been very consistently great.

I wouldn't question the quality of the instrument, but as mentioned, you may not like the sound as a matter of personal opinion. Although, if you like a P bass, the LB-100 is about as good as they come IMO.

The other thing you might be careful of is if this guy really is trustworthy.

4. I bet the construction and quality will be good. it is just the condition that I woudl be worried about, how well has it been cared for and stuff like that. but those are cool basses, they have a great old school P bass sound.

5. I agree that any bass unseen is a risk. This being said, the workmanship was very solid on the 3 G&L's I've owned. I had a SB-1 and I just plain didn't like the tone and I had an L2000 that sounded great thru my practice amp but thru my gig rig I couldn't seem to dial in a tone I could live with. Maybe the amp and the bass didn't like each other! By the same token I had an 1984 SB-2 that was excellent. I like to spend a little time with any bass before I buy it. Good luck!
    Robert