Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a Joe Osborn Skyline...active or passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Jul 31, 2003.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Tested it out at Bass Central while I was in Orlando (great bunch of guys, btw). I can get the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn passive (volume/volume/tone) or active with a factory installed J-Retro preamp. I like the sound of the passive, but also like the added flexibility of thea active. Anyone have experience comparing these two?

Thanks

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    does anyone have experience doing an a/b comparison on these basses?

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks, I will try that

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Just checked over there regarding this. Seems like a great forum for info on this. Thanks again for the advice.

6. Hey sheep -

I have one of the Dude Pit Limited Edition Joe Osborns with the J-Retro preamp and it makes all the difference in the world!

So many tone combinations with the active controls AND you can still run it passive if you want.

Check out my Laklands here for shots of the JO - it's also a Sherwood Green that is not a regular color.

I'm selling both the basses (the JO and the 44-02 fretless) if you're interested. Both are MINT condition and come with HSC - the 44-02 has a $895 asksing price and the DPLEJO is $995 FIRM. (it also has the J-Retro upgrade electronics to reduce hum in the preamp which cost $50) Shipping costs should be about $40 including insurance.

Good luck with your search!

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As the owner of DPLE #2, I've got to say that the J Retro is an excellent addition to this instrument. The JO with the Lindy Fralin pups and J Retro preamp is my main instrument. And no mine is not forsale and never will be. It is just so nice to have tone controls at your finger tips. No reaching back to your rack for adjustments.

Mine also has the lower noise upgrade. In fact, it is the first J Retro that was upgraded in the US. I know this because I'm the person that does the J Retro upgrades in the US.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks again for the advice. I found someone on the dudepit forum that has both the passive JO and the J Retro JO. I am talking with him via email. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I have a DudePit Limited Edition JO without the j-retro. I used to have a Fender Marcus Miller sig with the j-retro and I found I played it passive most of the time. My DPLE JO is for sale, e-mail me if you're interested. It's a very nice bass.

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Right now, I think I have pretty much decided in favor of the J Retro upgrade. As long as I can get the deluxe JR w/passive tone. Just gotta get someone to move the jack.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I recieved my JO with Jretro today and my first impression is that the pre is nice. I would rather not have that switch nevt to the volume nob though I've allready switch it by acedent.

AJ