1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a Middle/high-end bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey there world of TB,
    I've decided I'm selling (and have sold) my older lower/mid-range basses, and am going to be buying a new Mid to High end bass. I know this is a totally subjective question, but I will ask it anyways!
    What do you think I should go for?

My max is going to be about $3000 Canadian, but I'm not truly aiming to reach that, I'm fine with lower.

Here's my criteria:

I'm looking for a 5 string, which is diverse, I play Jazz, Fusion and Metal, so diversity is absolutely necessary. I also don't want a pick guard, that's probably not going to be a problem haha. I love basses with J-style pickups, but am willing to go for humbuckers as well. Maple is a personal must for me, whether it be a body wood or neck wood, I keep maple a tradition with all my instruments.

So far my favorite to play has been a Spector Euro 5 LX with one of the nice Exotic wood tops, but I wanted to know what TB thought.

I'm leaving this really open to begin, but feel free to specify something exactly, and I'll see if there's one near me to try out!

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Spector is a very nice bass. The neck is precision-like. EMGs are clear and hi fi sounding. They do not hold their resale value well so you can pick up a used one for a great price. Generally they are p/j configuration or two humbuckers.

Other basses I would recommend giving a try, MTD Z5, Fender Marcus Miller V, Warrior Soldier V, Lakland 5502, all good, all different, all within your price range, except the Warrior which you can find used that will definitely be in your price range.

3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Right there at home, the best B string Fiver and unless you have small hands a joy to play. My AB1 has the bonus of wonderfull balance between all strings. For my ears it has the first G string that I like to play/hear, without any deadspots or wimpy tones.

4. The Lakland 55-02 has both the jazz and humbucker that you are looking for along with a very versitile preamp!

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It is a good time to find a really good deal on a used Sadowsky NYC 5-string.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  7. +1

A Dingwall Afterburner will do you good. :hyper:

Supports Canada, too.

8. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I've actually tried one of these here in Edmonton, I loved the sound, but honestly, didn't like the feel! I'm sorry if that's heresy or blasphemy to the ears of TB, but that was a personal opinion

Mhm, I was thinking of just going for a Euro 5 natural finish instead, and luckily there's a store in my city that has one in stock that I'm going to check out later this week :)
    Ken Smith's are actually quite gorgeous basses! I'll try to find one of those to try out as well!

That could be interesting as well, I know another shop in town which stocks Lakland, so I shall give it a shot too!

I'm basically going to go on a bass-playing rampage in the next week or two, try out a whole whack of different ones to see which one I like best. I'll keep you guys updated as to how I feel about certain basses, and I'll let you know if I come to a definitive decision!!

Thanks for all the help!
    (sry for disregarding a few, my reason is that I'm against buying over the net personally)

9. Lol, i was just about to suggest the same. Can't go wrong with a Euro.

10. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Oh my god...

I ran into another option, F Bass has a used BN5 on their website for 2395 in my favorite finish... Does anyone think this would be a great deal? I can see if my local F Bass dealer could order it in so I could avoid some shipping costs too. My only fear is that I've never tried one out before...

11. Cliff Bordwell and Chris Stambaugh both build some killer basses for very reasonable prices.

12. I've never played one either but if i had the money to spend i'd definitely go out on that limb.

13. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I phoned my local store that orders F Basses in, and he says that if the bass isn't claimed, they can order it in for me. So I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do :) I'll have to either trade in one of my basses or get it sold beforehand to make up the difference vs. the deal I was getting with the spector, but if this is possible I'm going for it :)

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I feel like you described a Sadowsky as well.

But, I also have to suggest a Pedulla Thunderbass, because I just got one and it has changed my life. And it also sounds like what you described, except for the J pickups.

But, I love Spectors too.

15. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I vote for the F-Bass. At that price, even if you don't like it, you aren't going to be out a lot of money if you turned around and sold it.

I also agree with the previous comment on the Spectors. They are great basses, but they don't seem to hold their value on the used market. That's good for people looking at picking up a great bass for a very reasonable price, but it's not so good (for guy's like me) who are trying to sell one. :rollno: With a budget of $2500 (around what you are going to pay for the F-bass), you could easily pick up a used Spector Euro LX and another bass (Lakland 55-02, or something else) to help you get the diversity you are looking for.

16. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    F Bass is a good shot, I remember really liking the one I played.

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    oh yeah you are up there in Canada...

I say go with a smith... If you wanna buy a new one, you can snag a bolt on smith even... pretty much same sound, just the feel of the bolt on...

I vote Smith personally, but then again, maybe im biased :D

18. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Another something that sounds like it might be up your alley. Spector used to make (may still?) a US 5 string bolt on, it had a J at the neck and a (I think) dual coil at the bridge. Versatile, its a Spector, definitely some maple in there somewheres, J sound with others, no pickguard, within your range.. Might take a minute to find one? F basses are always nice too though :)

[​IMG]

19. mildbill

mildbill

Aug 5, 2008
    Bangor, Me
    I vote for a Pedulla. Wonderful basses. I've used them in a variety of styles and they always sounded and played great.