Buying a new Aguilar/QSC rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Well, since I have too many basses, and not NEARLY enough ways to amplify them, I went ahead and traded one of my Brubakers for an Aguilar DB659 pre and some cash. The cash I got was enough to purchase a QSC PLX2402. I should be getting all that stuff next week and will post a report here. My current amp is the Ashdown ABM900, which sounds great--no real need to change, except that my Ag DB900 tube DI sounds great (just ask StErLiNgBaSsIsT!), so I figure the Aguilar sound might do me some good.
  2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Funky, I've noticed your posts here and on the dudepit because I own both an MTD 535 (my main bass) and a Roscoe LG-3005. My rig includes an Aguilar DB659 and a QSC PLX 2402 so I smiled when I saw this thread. I just REALLY bit the bullet and bought two Wayne Jones 210 cabs. I'm still reeling from the first few gigs / jams with this set-up.
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Cool! Aguilar is good... mmm. Which brubaker did you sell? The big heavy maple/blueburst one I'm guessing?

Now that you have a pre/power setup you should replace your ashdown head with a second (ashdown) pre in the rack. Then you could switch sounds between songs :) Just a suggestion...

4. Hey ganttbos, what name do you post under over at the Pit?? What a coincidence! I doubt I'll be going over to the Wayne Jones cabs--I really like my little Ashdown box for most things. But who knows?

Yo MontyP, someone just sold an Ashdown preamp for $300, but I was too late. Actually the guy who bought it was the same guy who sold me an F Bass last week....
  5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    so does that mean you are aiming for that?
  6. Oh, not at all. Too many preamps for me! I'll probably try out both amps and decide which one I like better, and then sell the other one.
  7. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    FC, I've never posted on the pit. I'm pretty much just a reader. Yeah, the Wayne cabs are so expensive and so unavailable for players to see or hear, much less test drive here in the U.S., that I don't expect they'll be catching on anytime soon. I took a risk. But I've not heard anything like them - pretty serious! I think you'll like the QSC and the Ag.
  8. You'll love the Aggie - my 659 has served me very, very well. Coupled with a Mackie 1400i and an Acme Low B-2, it's been glorious. :)
  9. The Ag is here. Nobody told me it has a green jewel!! Nice touch. The power amp's not here, but I tried it with the line in of my Ashdown, and so far, so good.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Congratulations Funky! Listen, I have a friend that got a QSC PLX 1202 recently but he returned it because he said that the fan was way too noisy. Has anyone else had those types of problems with the PLX series?

I think that I'm about to try to work a basses for amps deal myself and I was also considering a QSC PLX with a Aguilar DB 659. I doubt that I'll go smaller than the PLX 2402.
  11. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Yep, the fan in the PLX (I have the 2402) is pretty noisy. But the fan in my Crown Power Tech 3 was noisy too and the QSC is so much lighter that I hardly hear the fan at all :D
    I had Eden do the "low noise upgrade" on my WT-400 and now the fan is quiet. I wonder if QSC will follow suit with something comparable?
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

Thanks for the information. I may just look at a few more options other than the PLX series then. It will be hard not to get a PLX because I've found two sources that have outstanding prices on them. The prices are so significant that I would probably spend hundreds more for something comparable. Send me a nice bowl of gumbo, would you? It's been a while since I've had some and seeing that you're from New Orleans definitely has me thinking about it! :D
  13. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Don't misunderstand me - I love the PLX 2402. The fan noise is a minor issue for me. It has clean punchy power. I really felt like it would be a step down from Crown. I've been a Crown devotee for years - still am - we use one Macrotech VZ-3600 for our entire PA (JBL SRX system - one channel of the Crown for the single 18 subs and the other channel for the tops). Crown kicks butt! But I'm delighted with the QSC for my bass rig.
    I love gumbo too - Tuesday is Mardi Gras! But mountains are nice. What's it like to wake up a mile high - and you haven't even had coffee yet! :D
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

I understood what you meant and the fan noise won't be the only determining factor. I'll buy what i feel offers me the most complete package of price, quality, etc. Right now I can get great prices on QSC stuff so it's at the top of my list.

Man, the first thing that I did was make a FULL pot! ;) Denver is cool. I'm originally from Mississippi. There's a lot of us southerners up here!

15. Hey ebozzz, I got my 2402 for $619 new from a guy on eBay. Apparently he sells the stuff apart from eBay too. There's a thread about it in the Dudepit amp section under "lightweight power amps" or something similar.
  16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

Funky that's even better than I can get. The prices that I could get would be in the $700.00 to $750.00 range including shipping. I'll have to go over to "The Pit" to check that out. Thanks for the tip!
  17. Well, my 2402 arrived today. I can't hear how it sounds though, since I don't have the right cables!
  18. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Yo Funky!!

Hey man, when you tire of that 2402 and want to get something else, FEED ME, I'll pick it up from you as your bottom dwelling recycled bass buyer!!!!

Seriously, I've *loved* my QSC PLX1602/Alembic F2B combination through an Epifani T212, so I'd be very interested to hear how your rig sounds to yours ears (especially when you get your Aguilar 212 rig).

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ:)
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hey FC,

i'm considering the QSC/Ag setup.

any chance i could buy ya dinner and bring over my lightwave ZON for a test spin through your setup?!?!?!

please please please!!!

email me.

orange, ca
  20. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    No joke ya'll!

I just bought me an Aguilar/QSC rig about three weeks ago, and am very happy with it.

I walked into the music store wanting an Ampeg SVT 2-Pro (the modernized all tube head) and an SVT 1450HE cabinet (4X10, 1X15, and 1 tweeter), thinking I'd need that sort of setup since both my bands' guitarists play through full Marshall stacks. I tried a bunch of stuff though, and low in behold, I ended up getting an Aguilar 659 preamp, QSC RMX 1450 power amp, and an Aguilar GS 410 cab.

The Aggie cuts through just insanely well (I think it probably has to do with where the frequency of the midrange knob is set). 400 hz I think? I don't remember exactly. Also, with the volume (input volume) knob at about 1 to 2 o'clock you get a real unique overdrive. It's more of a growl than a fuzz tone. I set it to play crystal clear clean though most of the time.

It's just so funny to see that so many people came to the decision I did at around the same time I did.