Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a new amp... a bit lost...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geej, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Heh, when you need some help on basses and accessories, why not ask the people who know best... and when theres thousands of them... so much the better...

Ok some background information. I live in Australia, so prices and availability FOR Australia please :rolleyes:
    Currently I have a Peavey Piece of ... well yea... the amp I got with my starter package, over 4 years ago... its 50 watts but its seen better days. I'm in the market for a new amp, alot better than the one I have now, more power, equalization and better sound...
    The budget AUD$800 maximum, but preferably something around $400-600...

No particular brand, I'm just looking for some suggestions, or hey if anyone has a second hand amp that goes well... lemme know...

I was checking out some of the new Behringer stuff... They had a 300watt, 7 band EQ amp, distortion channel and "ultrabass" function for $500, that one looks cool...

Anyway, any help is appreciated.. remember available in Australia.

Thanks! :hyper:

2. Ouch, just read the Behringer or "Beringer" :eyebrow: thread... so, I guess disregard the Behringer suggestion... although my school uses alot of Behringer equipment, bass, keyboard amplification and the like... what the problem is? :cool: You all know better than me anyway, I'm not starting anything..

3. Peavey amp on eBay

I found that one on eBay... its still a week until the auction closes, so the price will shoot way up, but is that any good if i can get it for around $500, I was gonna stick to a combo amp... but what do u guys think...

4. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Played through Peavey rigs for years... They are nothing flash, but they're loud and reliable & you can generally get a good ( not outstanding ) sound out of 'em....

You're probably going to have to go used for the money you have to spend ( don't music gear prices in Australia just bite??? )....

I'll keep an eye out & see if there's anything going 2nd hand down here....

BTW.. Are you playing with a band or jut want something a bit better than what you currently have???

Cheers,

Dan

PS... Maybe buy the trading post (or have a look at the website )

5. Yea I'm in a band... no real gigs to speak of yet... but my little amp just doesnt cut it ... i use my little fx pedal to boos the hell out of the low end so i can at least know my bass is on :eyebrow:

But yea... music prices here are pretty sucky :crying:

HEY YEA! Trading post, thats a great idea thanks :D

6. Was checking out pawn shops today... and found a Roland D-Bass 500 for $600 Australian... I looked on the net, and have seen nothing but great reviews... and i'm really considering this...
    Does anyone have this amp and can comment on it?

But the one in the shop had wheels on it, which the DB 500 doesnt have.... the shop was closed today so I only saw it in the window, but maybe this is a DB 700? :hyper: