1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a New Bass, 1500$ Budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russtafari, May 16, 2011.

1. russtafari

russtafari

May 16, 2011
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forums, was hoping I could get some advice on buying a rather expensive bass. A little bit about me and my bass skills. I've played for around six years, a variety of styles. Currently I play an Ibanez SRX 400 (i've had it for all six years). I know music theory, can read sheet music, never play with a pick. I feel like its time to move on to something bigger and better. I also play live constantly so I want something with a fantastic tone. I also need something thats flexible, I personally love playing slap/funk bass. But I play a lot of rock, reggae, soul, etc. I need a bass that can do it all. As a plus I live in NYC so I can easily try out all kinds of basses.

I'm at the start of the shopping process, but here's what i've seen so far. Most basses that are high end (expensive) feel way too sensitive to me. They are super responsive to the slightest touch (maybe it's because i'm playing new basses?). I don't particularly like this much.. my playing style is slightly aggressive and I want a bass that can take a thump without me messing with the volume or equalizer.

I got the chance to play a very old G&L L 2000. It was great, really enjoyed it. Loved all the settings, couldn't believe that they actually come standard. I'd never heard of G&L until i played that bass. (So it's something thats on my to try list, the one i played isn't for sale, i'm curious to see how different a new one feels)

I also went to the fodera factory and got a chance to play their standard line (not the custom order ones). Kind of the same problem as most high end basses... very sensitive (I wonder if the victor wooten signature is so sensitive... its misleading to watch him slap if it is, seems like he hits it harder). I played one with a tube amp that I liked more then the ones with an expensive pre amp. But they do give you a lot of control... The way I went into it was that if i completely fell in love with the bass and knew it was the one for me i'd get it... I didn't feel that way.

Other then that i've played music mans and warwicks i've both liked and disliked. Several friends have recommended I check out schecter basses. Band mates want me to get a fender... i've also been recommended a fender by several other people.. kinda want something more unique though.

Sorry for the rant, let me know what you think.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  3. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Can't go wrong with an L-2000, great basses!

I just picked up an '87....just great tone & playability, all-around excellence!

Mine no longer has the preamp, still love it.

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Used Spector Euros in classifieds - I love mine more every day! Versatile, fat tones, and well within your budget.

5. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I would definitely suggest the G&L. G&L stands for "George and Leo" as in George Fullerton and Leo Fender, the founder(s) of Fender. The G&L designs were Leo's last, and he combined the best of his Fender and Musicman designs into one line of basses. They have a great, "newer" sound with the traditional Fender feel.

With your budget you can find a good used Kubicki Ex-Factor (also Fender-like with more sonic range), Bass Emporium has several Lakland models (also Fender-Like), if you look enough you can find a USA Spector NS-2. A short train ride to Metuchen/Edison NJ will put you in NJ Guitar and Bass Center. Jay has more top end stuff in that price range then just about anyone else in the tri-state area. Visit his website at njguitarandbasscenter.com

Go down to Larry Hartke's Bass Place (its in the old Manny's storefront) and just check out the wall. There are a lot of choices in that price range. And, bonus, if you go on the right day you will actually meet amp and TB legend Larry himself.

My final thought is that the G&L 2000 or 2500 will perfectly fit your bill. You can coax all the vintage tones out of it you want, and also you can really get some sloppy, tappity, clangmeistery goodness as well.

6. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Used Sadowsky metro!!!!!

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I own a P Bass Deluxe and it is all it's cracked up to be. For $1500 you have a lot of choices, so take your time and find the one you want...Good luck :)

8. oh man if i lived in NYC i'd be ALL OVER the warwick showroom. the amount of time i'd spend there would be preposterous. and you can find very nice used wicks online for way less than $1500. i'm sort of a warwick fanboy i guess so take it for what it's worth :)

9. So many nice instruments..... I play Warwick mostly but A G&L is super versatile. A second hand Sadowsky Metro with a P/J pickup config would work well too.

10. Stingray.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd go out and get my hands on every bass I could possibly find, pick out one you like, and then try to buy one used in the classifieds. You can save a lot of money that way.

12. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Try a Music Man Bongo bass. I recommend the 4H or the 4HH. Love those basses!

13. Or consider the bass you may not be able to get your hands on, the Carvin SB4000 or SB5000. They have been getting excellent reviews.

14. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    That's an interesting price range. Many of the better production instruments (e.g., USA Fenders, Musicmans, and G&Ls) can be had. Having owned multiple basses from those 3 brands, my own personal choice would be to focus on Musicman (Stingray, Bongo, Sterling, etc.). I have yet to see anything match the quality, and bang for the buck on those instruments. Granted, they are not everyone's cup of tea.

My only problem with the G&L was the lack of pickup blend. At the time I owned the L2000, you could only turn the pickups on or off. I'm not sure if that has changed, but it was one of the reasons I ultimately sold it.

I personally do not like Warwick, but a lot of people here love them. That would be another brand to check out to see if you like them.

15. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Lakland, baby. The Skylines are great basses for the money.

16. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Being where you are and having access to all of the instruments you do, I would really try everything you can afford and see what works best for you.

The G&L are nice instruments, but so are the other basses folks have mentioned. I would consider this though...think used. You can get a lot of instrument for a lot less money thn new.

All this being said, if I were you a couple things to consider. I am a big fan of the US Peavey Cirrus basses...hard to beat, and they have not been mentioned. Also, it is hard to go wrong with a good jazz bass.

One other thought. With what you have said about not liking sensitive, or overly sensitive instruments, I would consider getting a passive bass. At least try it and see...sometimes it is really hard to beat the passive tone.

Good luck and enjoy the shopping.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    This.
    But I throw it out there that I really, really love EBMM basses.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    markkoelsch makes a great point about checking out a passive bass if sensitivity is an issue for you. One thing you should also consider is that sensitivity can work for you once you get used to to it. The enhanced dynamics may allow you to find your voice in a way that you could not before. In other words, check out a lot of basses because ultimately you have to find out what you like.

19. Dodgeviperracer

Dodgeviperracer C'est La Vie

You should check out Clement basses by Tom Clement(www.clementbass.com). You can get a custom made for around that price depending on what options you choose. I got a six string coming with all the bells and whistles plus great playability and sound and it was well under $3000. U should check it out. Also u might wanna look at www.Stambaughdesigns.com. He is also anotha great custom bass builder.

20. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    I was just at NJ Guitar and Bass Center on Saturday. Incredible selection. You could spend 6 hours in there and still not try everything they have.
    Train ride or car ride down the NJ TPK to Edison will be worth it.