1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a new bass -- BEAD or BEADG??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickn, Mar 7, 2008.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My band plays a lot of songs in fairly low tunings (think Drop C, Drop D...), but we also do a great number of songs in standard EADG. It's a PITA to tune back and forth for different songs, and it's probably not good for my bass' neck either. As such I'm looking to get another bass solely for the low tunings. I've done a LOT of research, and I've come to the conclusion that a low B string is what I want. But should I get a 4-string or a 5-string? (It's gonna be an SX either way.)

In the past, I have only owned 4 string basses. I've tried out 5- and 6- strings at GC and the like, but they just felt weird to me. That's why I'm thinking the BEAD bass is more up my alley. What are the pros and cons of a 4-string in BEAD versus a 5-string in BEADG? Is it difficult to get used to a 4-string tuned in BEAD? Thanks! :D

2. My thought is to get the 5er and just play her straight up;)

I have mine tuned to B-E-A-D-G. I love the sound/feel of the low B through the D210XST cab I have. It is amazing sounding.

3. Personally I would go with the 5 string. There are a lot more options with having the G string still.

lowsound

4. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    5's give you more range in a single left hand position...you don't have to move much. Get a 5.

5. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Tough choice. I keep one bass tuned to BEAD. Never quite liked the feel of a 5 string for low tunings. My next bass will be a 5 tuned EADGC. I need the extra high notes.

6. Ordinarily, I'd suggest a 5, but play in C minor on a 5 string all night. I did that a few times and my knuckles were mad at me for weeks. Bands tuned to C are NOT for me.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    get the 5.
    WHen I got my L2500, it took me a good while to get used to it switching from a 4 string. But in the end it worked out. I just got a 6 and have no troubles playing it.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmm. Seems like a 5 is the way to go. Will becoming proficient on a 5-string bass hinder my playing for those times when I go back to the 4-string? The BEAD 4-string is just really appealing because it's the same as a regular 4-string bass which I am used to and feel comfortable with, just with bigger strings. Why change a good thing, you know?

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I can go back & forth to my Stingray 4 with no issues. It's sort of like riding a bike, you never forget once you learn something. I just use the 4 for different music. I do drop it down to D tuning, but no lower.

10. i'd go with the 5'er

11. If you like 5 strings get one. I don't like 5er's and can't get used to em so I go with the BEAD 4 string. I wish I could have gotten used to playing a 5, though I don't need a G much in the band I'm in it would be nice to have for jamming with other folks. Oh well just an excuse to buy another bass or 2 for standard.

12. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess that settles it then. 5-string it is. I'm probably going to get one of the SX Jazz-style 5ers. http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb6241.html

That Lake Placid Blue is sexy. :D

Hahaha, yep. If I don't like the fiver I'll just buy another 4-string. The great thing about SX basses is that if you get one you don't like, you're not really out very much money. They're extremely inexpensive basses. I'm just a part-time cashier, but despite that fact I still make enough money to buy a new SX every week... well maybe I could, if gas wasn't so %@#! expensive...

13. hip shot?

14. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hipshot Detuner?

15. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    Go five - BEADG. It's gold.

16. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    The ONLY reason to not get a 5 string is if you don't like the extra bulk or width of the neck... another reason is you are not used to the b string but that wouldn't apply here since you would have a B in a BEAD 4 stringer anyways.

But (and this is highly personal) I have found that with 5 strings price generally makes more of a difference. I have plenty of 4 strings that I absolutey love and they were cheap. I haven't found a cheap 5 string that I have ever liked... Never anything under $500 new, and preferable something way over $1000. It doesn't mean one that I like under $500 doesn't exist... I just haven't found it yet. It's easy for me to find a cheap 4 I like though.

17. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    On the other hand, and highly personal for me as well, the first five string I ever played I fell in LOVE with. Still my favorite (out of 5 basses).

18. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    That's actually almost true for me too. My very first bass was a midrange yamaha 5 string that cost $700. It took me a long time to find a 5 I like better but I found 2. A warrior and a hamer 2tek... The warrior for the feel (tone is incredible too) and the hamer for the tone (same feel as the yamaha but a superior tone IMHO) Pedulla is another 5er I love...

19. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    My vote is the 5. SX basses are relatively inexpensive. I think what you are struggling with is the transition. It isn't that bad but it does take practice. I suggest spending a month practicing scales and such before introducing it to the band. It is a great thing to have one bass that can handle all of your needs. I recently went from 4 to 5 and I find that while I occasionally hit the oddball note, it is going really well. Now the 4 feels weird to me, infact it feels easier.

20. LOL. yeah one of them