buying a new bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jun 1, 2004.

1. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, i am looking to start the bass guitar and could with some advice on what to get. i have the choice of something like a Squier P-Bass or Yamaha RBX270 or i could pay a bit more and get something like an epiphone thunderbird iv. Getting something like a P-Bass would be good if i didnt get into bass as i would not have spent much money, but, if i do pick up the bass well i may realise the P-Bass is not too good and spend more money upgrading and therefore spending a lot more than already buying a higher standard bass.

i dont know if you will have understood all that but if you did could you give me your opinions?

thanks in advance
  2. thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yamaha are awsome starter basses i got the rbx370 for like 4 years now its fully good to start with i sugest it
  3. I agree. Yamaha basses are excellent at all price levels.

BTW, which bass players do you admire, what kind of music do you like, and what is the most you can spend, Canary?

Can you get to a music store to check out some basses, or are you going on the recommendations you'll get here?

4. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    im into quite a lot of music, mostly rock.
    im into a lot of bands from joy division to the sex pistols. i love a good bass line like joy division or Public image ltd (public image)
    im more into the older sort of rock than modern stuff, i think there are too many "wannabe" bands around at the moment.

the most i would spend on my bass would be around £250.
    i am going to as many as the shops i can to try out different basses.

i don`t really know too much about bass players, i dont feel they get as much attention as lead guitarists and singers. i love the sound of a bass guitar a lot more than any other thing in a band.

Do you thing it is worth paying £200 for a yamaha or paying £250 - £300 for an Epiphone Thunderbird?