Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a new bass isn't fun anymore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah G&L Canada doesn't order Tributes in maple neck. They feel that the rosewoods have more of a deeper tone and don't even bother with maples. Yeah, musician friends doesn't ship to Canada. Great now I have to get a rosewood bass. It stopped being fun like a month ago :crying: So I'm back to where I was like 3 years. Why even have options when you wont even use them?

2. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    isn't a maple leaf on the Candian flag?

3. I know they arent the greatest, but a quick googling revealed that music123.com will ship to Canada. And yes they have the maple fretboard. Heres some info about it from their website.

4. Buy one off of Ebay.

It will probably be cheaper.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Bass Northwest and Bass Central would be happy to ship to Canada and they have plenty of maple neck basses including G&L. Good Luck.
    ps. I have always preferred maple myself.
    pps. Every other music store in the U.S. would be happy to ship to Canada as well.

6. Oh yeah, BassNW and BC kinda slipped my mind. Go with them over Music123. BassNW is a great place, always has really great prices and wonderful customer service. Cant say enough good things about them. Ive bought preamp and cabinet from them and sold one of my old basses on their site. Again, great place to deal with. Just wish theyd build a store in NC.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I've just sent a Email to BassNW. Basic question about proces and shipping. I hope this turns out good cause they could have a customer for life:D

8. I dont live in Canada, but I ordered my Maple Tribute off of Music123 and they were great to deal with.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Have it shipped to UPS "Hold for Pickup" in Detroit & run it over the border yourself. Whether or not you declare it is up to you.

Or if you know someone in Detroit, have it shipped there.Add their address to your Visa card & you'll eliminate "ship only to billing address" hassles.

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Ok its fun again. Bass Northwest has saved my life. Such a cheap price and they will set up and inspect it. ITS DUTY FREE!!! and its only 7% tax. The only really problem is......... I now have to do something with all the money I have saved:D

11. What a horrible problem :D !

Glad that everything worked out for you! I just got a new bass yesterday, and that feeling is incredible!

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, don't cry... ;) Do you want to read a story ?

Some weeks ago, I had a look at the catalogue of G&L importer for France. You know what ? The L-2500 (the "regular" one, not the Tribute) is available in ONE and ONLY ONE finish : natural w/rosewood fretboard... Nothing else available. At least I guess in Canada you have the choice for body finish.

Just an idea, BTW : why not try to get a used "regular" L-2500 with a maple board ?

Cheers
    Jay

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oops sorry, I had not read you have found a solution in the meanwhile... Congrats for the deal you got with NW Bass.

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Its ok Jay.
    Those guys from Bass Northwest are so great. Nice to talk to vary friendly. Also the guy is friends with the owner of G&L and he said he can personaly call them and have them pick out a vary nice bass body for me. Now that is just cool. I"M SO GLAD!!

Yes, I love the band Cream.:D

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    That sounds great - but if you bring it into Ontario you will have both GST & PST = 15%. UPS might charge a brokerage fee for doing the customs paperwork, depending on which level of shipping you use (definitely do for ground).Make sure the NAFTA section is filled in, or you're dinged for 6% duty.

Frank in Toronto

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Ygg I would think you are right but I had some of my people do some calls. To the customs people. It turns out there are no duties and because it is not sold in Ontario there is no PST. I'm unsure about the duities but I personaly checked out the PST and I don't have to pay.