Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a new bass - need help! (regarding neck/body profiles)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm looking to buy a new bass and so far I have a pretty good idea about what makes a bass comfortable to me. I'm looking for a 4-string bass with neck thru contruction, with at least 22 frets but more would be great. Neck width must be narrow, with a slim back profile, but not on the flat side - more of a "C" shape, but not too chunky either.

If you're familiar with the Japanese made Tune/Bass Collection and the late 70's/early 80's Ibanez Musician basses, those are exactly what I'm looking for in regards to neck profile. The Fender Jazz Bass neck is alright too, although I prefer something that dosent have too much of a taper like the J basses have. The problem is I currently live in Singapore and I don't have the luxury of say, walking into a store and trying out different basses since we don't have much of a varied selection here.

As for the body, I like the small compact design of those Tune basses, but I've tried one out and I feel that its lacking something tonally and it dosent have much natural sustain. Of course pickups and wood have a lot do to with this, and I could rectify this with some EQ/compression etc, but still I'd rather have a bass that sounds good naturally, whilst having a small body profile. Weight dosen't really bother me so much, but of course theres no harm if it happens to be light.

My main concern is that it has to be comfortable. I have a Warwick Corvette that is practically impossible for me to play without having to fight with it in the process. So in your opinion which basses should I be looking at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would look into Spector. Meets most of the criteria i believe. Neck through ones are available, 24 frets, nice neck profile... comfortable as any bass IMO.

3. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks figjam, I'll keep that in mind.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Trev,
    Outside of the "comfort" factor, what style of music do you play, how versatile do you need the bass to be, and what do you like/dislike when it comes to tone? That should help with the recommendation process. ;)