Buying a new bass online without hard case--is it ok?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soldiss, May 31, 2005.

1. soldiss

May 31, 2005
    Hi, this is my first post here. I did two different searches on this and I didn't find anything specific with the info I'm looking for. so here it goes. I want to buy a new bass from an online music store. If I buy it without a hard shell case, will it be shipped to me ok? The store is closed so they can't answer my question. I want to buy tonight because I have a coupon that expires tonight.

I bought online before but I bought a guitar with a case and they shipped in the case. I'm just wondering if I should have a new bass shipped without a case. I'm worried about it being dropped, etc. Thanks!
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Barring extreme circumstances, like being run over, I'd say you'd be good to go. The standard shipping box is very sturdy, and supports and protects the neck and body just fine.

Think of it this way - this is how the bass was shipped to the store by the manufacture, and they'd just be "transferring containers". If it made it just fine on the first leg, what are the odds?

The last three basses I bought were sans case, and they were "showroom finish" perfect.

Welcome to TalkBass!
  3. I saw get the hardcase, they are great, it will last you forever i love mine :D anyway about the shipping i have absolutely no idea, never bought online sorry :bawl:
  4. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    IVe bought lots of guitars new and used online without cases and they came to me just fine. That is what insurance is for. Its nice to have a case but alot fo times you will be allright if its a good store. And if its new it will the bass will be in the box from the factory and should be already packaged well.
  5. soldiss

May 31, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate it!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, safe as a... ran outta witty phrases... but it's safe.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It should get through the shipping just fine, provided that they pack it properly with some padding. I bought a Lakland from Bass Central, and I didn't need any more gig bags or cases. They shipped the bass packed with some padding at each end (headstock and body), threw in some foam popcorn, and double boxed it. It traveled from Florida to Hawaii with no problem.

:D :eyebrow: :D
  8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I had a TB'er ship me a Spector Legend with no case or anything. It was just shipped in the original box(es) It was packed well enough and arrived with no problems. So long as it's packed well it shouldn't have any problem.