1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a new bass...Ur opinions are appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom aint short, Jun 7, 2007.

1. tom aint short

tom aint short

Jun 7, 2007
    Okay, so I have a Schecter Studio 5 and I'm looking into buying a new bass. I have some ideas in mind, but i would like to know what you all have to say about them. Also I am looking to go down to a 4 string.

1. Lakland 44-02 Deluxe. (Don't really know the difference between the deluxe and regular.)

2. Fender American Jazz

3. Musicman StingRay

I would like a bass that is good for slapping, and I know that I'll have to go and try all these basses out, but I would like to know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If you describe what styles you are covering and what you are looking for, you can get better replies.

For an all-around bass, the Jazz is the universal tool.

If you want more punch with active sizzle, the StingRay will do.

The Lakland can do both with proper EQing. . .

I like the Jazz because the narrower neck; both the Lakland and the SR have P-Bass-width nuts. I prefer narrower in 4-string basses.

Otherwise, the Lakland is the most versatile in your list.

3. tom aint short

tom aint short

Jun 7, 2007
    well the main styles i will be playing are funk, jazz, and a little bit of rock..but mainly the first two. and thanks for your input.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    For an all around good bass sound, get the jazz.
    The Stingray is also very good but you have to like its sound, i recommend a HS Ray.
    The Lakland is like both but sounds like neither, it can get you close to both sounds but i prefer the HS Stingray.

IMO of course.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    If you play funk, jazz, and a little bit of rock, then I'd have to go with the Stingray (think Louis Johnson) first followed closely by the Lakeland (Rhonda Smith)

6. Sandwich Man

Sandwich Man

Apr 30, 2006
    New York
    If you're going down from a 5er, I'd definitely check out if the jazz neck works for you because it might feel like coming from a 5er, although Schecter necks are pretty slim.

If you're playing funk slap, Stingray is known for that, but then again so is the Jazz for that Larry Graham sound. Stingray is little less warm than the Jazz, but has so much punch and attack, it makes for a great slapping bass.

As far as Lakland 4stringers go, I'm a fan. But then again, try them all and find which one suits your style. You should be comfortable on it, and if one feels off, don't tell yourself that you should change your playing, because you shouldn't have to.

Try em.

7. tom aint short

tom aint short

Jun 7, 2007
    thanks to all of you, i will defintally be trying out all three of these basses.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021