1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JazzGecko, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JazzGecko

JazzGecko

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post. Sorry it's a very repeated topic! I'm saving to buy my first acoustic double bass and again, there are budget issues. I've been looking at Gedo, which seems to have positive reviews.
    I'm a relative novice, short and like playing jazz. I'm looking at either a Romanian semi-carved which is in my price range now.
    http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=560
    or an Asian one - which apparently is really nice - but I've been a bit put off my previous postings on Asian instruments. It's also double the cost.
    http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=348
    or a Czech if I do a lot of saving.
    http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=348

The Romanian one is a Hora.
    Does anyone have any experience of these instruments? I'm sure that if I lived there and had a play, I would know instantly.
    I'm not an expert, I would just like a nice, easy playing mellow instrument.
    Thank you!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Why are you looking at these particular basses? Are you in Europe?

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That Hora looks exactly like the Roma Hybrids that were sold by Ideal Music in NYC.

They are somewhat indifferently constructed and heavily finished but the fingerboards are nice ebony and the tops have some character. The bodies are on the smaller size and won't make a huge sound but they're pretty even.

It will need a thorough set up (fingerboard dress, bridge, strings, sound post) by someone who knows what they're doing.

Good luck!

4. JazzGecko

JazzGecko

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    Yes Eric, I'm in the UK, but have been living in Italy. I'm struggling to get much choice in the UK - it seems to be Chinese or £3000+.
    I live in Cornwall, so the choice is very limited.
    I played an acoustic in school orchestras in Milan and it was great. I bought an electric bass (Chinese) to practice and because I then moved to Africa. I needed a fist of iron to get those strings down! It did the job but it wasn't a pleasant journey! I'm just looking for a nice sounding acoustic bass - I love jazz, so I'm not a big arco player (on the electric, it sounded like a mating whale, so I'm not feeling too confident!)
    The guys at Gedo music seem to have a good reputation for set up, so I maybe OK Jake?! It's always a gamble online, but to be honest, I'm quite remote so online is the only way.
    I'm just not sure whether to risk the Romanian hybrid or to sell off an organ for the Czech full carved. Having never played a fully carved, I'm just not sure what I'm missing! Thanks for your responses guys, I really appreciate them. xxx

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's a shame that this choice is so common. Tough to say what is right for you, but Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff and Lonnie Smith, to name a few, decided that with an organ, they didn't need a bass.

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
  7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If you can find Shen, Eastman, Christopher Chinese basses there, they are good quality.