Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassmeister, Nov 30, 2003.

1. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys, I've got a big gig coming up, and honestly, my bass is looking pretty shabby. I need a new bass, or just an alternate that I can use. I looked on musiciansfriend.com and the only thing that stood out to me was the 5 string Peavey
    Millenium BXP. Its fairly cheap, and although its not a Musicman or a Rickenbacker, it looks nice. I need some opinions on whether I should try this one out, hit the pawn shops (I have no problem buying used) or just forget it and play with my crappy Ibanez SDGR200 Im using currently. Im looking for something in the $200-600 range, and the Peavey hits the bare minimum for that. I dont care for Fenders, and really like the idea of finally getting a 5-string . Any help or opinions would be great.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, in that range... There is Warwick Rockbass... some Ibanez stuff that is quite good... cheap model Spectors... probably some decent yamahas...

What kind of music are you playing? You have lots of options with this price range, but we need too know what you need.

3. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Well thats the thing...I'm a newbie when it comes to equipment. I had crappy flatwounds on my bass and I hated it then I put ernie ball super slinkys and i got just what I wanted..so honestly I dont know. I don't care for warwicks too much from the ones I've tried out at stores. The type of music I play is...wow...I play alot of stuff. I play tons of rock, heavy jazz (if there is such thing) and some funk, so I need something relatively all-around that I get a nice low end out of but can still pull off the Seinfeld groove. I just need something that I can customize, maybe jack with the pickups, and all that fun stuff.

4. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I was going to put the link for the peavey 5 string on the first post but I forgot, so tell me what you think. Here

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A little secret about low end peaveys... they are low end. :-/

Peavey Grind 5 NTB

I've played that ^ one, it is a good piece of wood...

Spector NS2000 Q5 Five-String

Played one of these at GC, and it was amazing... it plays outrageously smooth.

Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5

Another bass I have had the pleasure of playing, it is light, very fast neck, has tons of bottom end, and is amazinglingly smooth...

If I had to pick between those, I'd most likely get the spector... but any of those would suit your needs just fine.

6. u cant expect a half decent new bass for 200 dollars that even hard to find used. defenitly not the peavey. anyway i dont know usually it just comes down to goin to the local shops and tryin stuff out. thats all i can really say just go and play everything u can find.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    You won't need to customize an Ibanez BTB405; it has everything and it's in your price range. It's a <i>very solid</i> bass.

8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Word.

Especially when you live in Austin. :) Go try some out.

9. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    After playing an Ibanez for a while...I really am not too terribly fond of them except when they are in a vice grip with me next to it, holding a hammer and chisel. Ill check out those links and report back.

10. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Alright, I looked at those models, and frankly I like the warwick looks more than any of them. I talked to my friend Dan, and he plays the exact model. He has it customized, and he is also my main music inspiration so you can guarantee that he plays the same type of music as me. Im going to try it out next time I see him. As for the Peaveys, if Im going to get something 400+ I sure as hell am not gonna get a Peavey. The spector was nice, and I bet is extremely nice sounding (I've heard nothing but good things about Spectors) but I'm not into the look, and I dont think I've ever seen a Spector in the music stores I go to. I guess that just means I need to go different places huh... Well, I really appreciate the help from you guys, thanks!