Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonki, Dec 22, 2003.

Wich bass should i buy?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2004.
  1. Yamaha RBX774 -->1130$ = 7600NOK

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Dean Egde Q4 --> 895$ = 6000NOK

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Yamaha BB604 --> 775$ = 5200NOK

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    wich bass? i like the RBX774 much. its also suitable in that price class.
    your opinion? I have heard all of the basses over have good sound. I play metal alot and i like a bass with deep and good tone in that priceclass, wich bass on the poll should i go for?

2. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    [​IMG]
    Yamaha RBX774

[​IMG]
    Dean Egde Q4

[​IMG]
    Yamaha BB604

3. Well, i onlyp layed the RBX774, but you can't go wrong with one of those!!! Their 5-strings are also great

4. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I'd go the RBX, it has a monorail bridge, 35 inch scale(if you like that type of thing), very modern sound, 24 fret, yamaha growl.

excellent value.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All three are good basses. The best value is the Yamaha BB604. The Schecter looks really nice. But the RBX774 is the best of the three.

What can you afford, and which one do you like best?

6. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    in the way of looking, i like the RBX774 best! Black hardware, black body = black beauty ;)
    im just wondering about the technical part of the basses, wich who has growly sound and tune, far as i see its the RBX who is on top. i'd like to hear more opinions ;)

7. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    anybody? :bawl:

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Here's an idea, why don't you try all three basses and decide for yourself? Seriously, you can't just set up a poll, see which bass has the most votes and buy it the next day. It doesn't work that way. Everybody has their own opinions, one might think highly of a particular bass while another individual might not like that same bass. Different strokes for different folks. As someone once aptly said, buying a bass(or any other instrument for that matter) is like choosing a new pair of shoes, you have to try them to see which one fit. Please, go out try these basses out and judge for yourself!

9. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i agree with you! but the _only_ problem is my local musicshop dont have none of them in storage! so i have to gamble a little when purchasing the bass

10. What Schecter, Embellisher? I don't see no Schecter.

I agree the RBX774 is the pick of the litter.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Doh! I knew it was a Dean. I've got Schecter on the brain. They are my new favorite mid priced bass.

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    In that case I shall choose the RBX774. I've played alot of those. Lightweight, and as with the case with almost every Yamaha product, it is very well built. It has a bass boost switch as well for that extra "oomph" so it would be perfect for the kind of music you're playing. The BB604 is much more articulate and milder compared to the RBX but you could play metal with it just fine. I prefer the neck profile of the BB over the RBX. RBX has a painted neck which is a turn-off for me. As for the Schecter, well I can't really comment, having never played one but if the reviews on the internet are testament to their quality, then I would not hesitate to order one online but I'd some research on that particular bass before ordering it. Find out what its neck profile, weight, sound, etc like first before you decide to gamble on it. But I would go as far to say that you can't go wrong with either of the Yamaha models, heck, you can't go wrong with any Yamaha products.

13. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Haha, I'm not the only one to mistake that orange bass as a Schecter...it was embellisher's fault I tell you!

Well, I've never played Deans either but they receive great reviews everywhere just like Schecter does.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'd shoot for the Yahama RBX774.

I own a Dean, and it's sitting in my closet collecting dust. I'll never play it again, I'll never sell it either.

I agree with embellisher, get what you can afford. You can always upgrade whatever bass you buy.

:)

15. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    I agree! i can afford the RBX774. Later I shall defret the bass ;)

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've played both Yamahas and I much prefer the BB604. A killer value to be sure. I have a couple gripes about the 774 -- the neck is like a pole (a painted pole at that), the frets are like small mountains, and the big arse soapbars + 24 frets + thumbrest = bad for slap. The BB604 had none of these for me, and it seems to have better electronics. Slightly more traditional and less ergonomic body shape, but still very comfy. Only problem is the gold hardware -- expensive to replace and difficult to maintain, but the rest of it is a fantastic instrument for a killer price. Definitely the BB604.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to what you expect from a bass, if I were you, in that price range I'd go for a Rickenbacker 4003.

The only risk you take is to become seriously addicted, and want to start a collection. ;)

Cheers,
    JL

18. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what is the retail price in France for Rickenbacker 4003 and Yamaha RBX774? In Norway all is so expensive; taxes,shipping and tolls.
    Rickenbacker basses are cool, but i think the price is too high for me. As you see the price for an Yamaha RBX774 cost 7600kr(1130US$) here in Norway, and i have heard the RBX774 cost around 300-400US$ in the USA.

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In France, the list price is around 1700 EUR. I got mine from an American shop, used but in as new condition (it was only 4 months old), for less than 1200 EUR, all inclusive (bass + shipping + customs + taxes).

The RBX774 sells (street price) for about 700 EUR here.

Also, a French friend of mine found a 1979 4001 in excellent condition for 750 EUR. Maybe you should consider buying used.

Cheers,
    JL

20. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    well, i will not buy used, but sooner or later i will buy a Rickenbacker when i get a proper job. ;)