Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by carlrit, May 14, 2001.

1. carlrit

carlrit

May 14, 2001
    Hi There,

If you had roughly $15,000 available to purchase a bass, what would you consider buying... i.e., what is your favorite bass within those cash confines, and why? Please describe the qualities that make it your ideal bass: tone, playability, beauty, resale value, whatever comes to mind.
    I currently have the option to buy a '64 Pollman, or a '65 Jackstadt, both in perfect condition, for 14k and 16k respectively. Which one would you buy and why?
    And,is anyone well acquainted with Arvi basses, or Sulano basses, or any other relatively "small time" luthiers I might not have heard of, and who makes great basses in the price range I am able to afford? Unfortunately for me, Dan Hachez sells his award winning basses for 25K.
    I would sincerely appreciate all the information you would provide, so please don't hesitate to write.
    Last of all: is anyone planning to attend the ISB convention in Indiana this June, and if so, do you know if trunks will be available for rent to ship a newly purchased bass home?
    Sincerely,
    Carl Rit

2. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    My teacher has an Arvi which he really likes (and it sounds great) . He says it had a fully developed sound even while the finish was still soft. They were/are really popular with students of Paul Ellison. I wish I could be making the decision you are contemplating. Hmm.. let's see new bass or college for my kids.

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, they'd probably spend their college years getting drunk anyway. Besides, if they pay for it themselves, they'll appreciate their education more.

-dh

4. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Also from the 2xbasslist: almost unanimous praise for Jackstadts - Sulanos somewhat more divided some folks really love 'em. Take it as the 3rd hand info that it is.

Of course the best thing is to play a lot of basses and buy the one that speaks to you regardless of "brand".

5. cal
    You can't seriously expect us to tell you which is the best choice. At $15,000, you're at a level where every instrument will be unique, even if you were looking at 6 Pollmans. They're your ears and your fingers. Use 'em. Also, you're at a level where the bass is loaned/shipped for trial. You're entitled. I've sent out basses for 2-3 weeks.