Buying a new bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterpogo, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Misterpogo

Sep 8, 2005

i'm thinking about getting a new bass..
    the choice stands between:
    Epiphone Thunderbird lV
    Ibanez EDB-600

2. Uh oh, here comes another Ergodyne bashing thread... :No:

In my opinion, the Epiphone Thunderbird would be a better choice between the two, and I am an EDB sympathiser.

However, I have to ask the normal questions anyways...

What style of music? How much money do you have?

3. Misterpogo

Sep 8, 2005
    hmm, i mostly play music like: Rage against the machine, Marilyn manson and black label society.

to tell you how much money i hace would be a bit hard since i live in norway.. that has a bit different currency, but to get it started i can say 10 000 kr.
  4. Well according to the currency calculator on my cell 1000Kr. is about $1,600 USD. I'm not sure how much basses made over there cost but you could probably do better than an Epiphone or Ibanez. Maybe a Lakland 55-01?
  5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    With around 1600 bones, I think I'd get a Variax. God, those rock.
  6. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Never played one.... Can't comment. But if its anything like there other things (effects) it's going to be horrid.

For 1,600 american... Wow, you really don't have to look at Epiphones and Ibanezes. I've seen some older school gibsons go for 500 on ebay, so why even consider a new epiphone. It sounds like you want a "sorta metal/rock" bass. For some reason Spector and Warwick come to my mind. The guy from coheed (shudder) plays a spector, and they are kinda metal. But I'd definatly look at ebay and pay worldwide shipping. Basses i would look into...
    Fender Re-issues- Geddy Lee's, Marcus Millers, 72 Jazz's
    American Fenders (personally i love jazz's)
    I'm not sure here, but you may be able to find a used sadowsky for that price (MAY be able to, good luck, haven't seen them that low).
    Stingray's- sorta seem to be the standard imo.
    Spector's- really aggressive sounding imo, or the few i've played have been aggressive

Try to figure out what kinda basses you like 1st. Alot of these basses are love 'em or hate 'em (i.e. warwicks). For me- I would never consider a warwick, seeing as how i play classic rock, and my Jazz's give me my aggressive/vintage tone I want. I think you'll find that alot of guys use Jazz basses, due to there versatility. And if I may ask- what are you useing now? And what is your amp set up? Also- any effects?
  7. Yeah, for that kind of cash, I'd reccomend a Warwick Corvette Active, or even a Thumb bolt-on. Since you like playing a bit of "metal" and "hard-rock" a Fender MIA Jazz Bass might suit you too. I would check into a MusicMan Sting Ray/Sterling if I were you as well.

Good Luck, and play as many basses as possible, it's the best way to find what's right for you.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Id like to get in on the ergodyne bashing, please.

I have one, and I have really mixed feelings about it. the neck is really nice and thin and all, and it actually has good balance. Its heavy.. very heavy. Also, I think it sounds prettty flat. I think its pretty comfy to play, but the sound is just not there. Also, I also have these other problems like strings ring a lot when they really shouldnt, and its hard to get really good action. But the sound is really the killer.. just not good.
  9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    1600 could buy a few ergodynes in the us... but you never know how much those crazy taxes are.