Buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sunrisewatcher, Mar 27, 2003.

1. sunrisewatcher

Mar 18, 2003
    Hi! I never play bass but I am a drummer and a guitarist (rhythm). I want to start learning bass just to get the hang of it but will continue to play/learn, jam with friends and possibly involve in a church band. I play rock/pop, funk and maybe R&B.

I have around $300-$400 to buy a bass, what's your suggestion? What are some model I should start looking? Probably this will be my only bass but no one knows. And I don't know whether I should get a 4-string or 5-string, please suggest.

My Taylor Big Baby is $280 and many would agree that it's the best one and the most outstanding for that price. I want to get the best one for the buck on my bass, too!

Please help. Thanks!

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Visit your local stores and play everything you can get your hands on. Feel and sound are very subjective, so only you know what you will like. Trust me, it's taken me somewhere around 10 basses (perhaps more) to get a bass that I am finally comfortable with. Since you are looking on the more inexpensive side, you should be able to find many options local. With that being said, you should also consider used gear. Take a bass player friend along for some help and/or opinions.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

I second that. The basic mexican fenders are very popular and widely liked. I'm not a huge fan, but you may like them. They can be found just about anywhere that sells basses. Used gear is a great option like Sean said- You can get stuff that plays and looks close to new for a fraction of the price. If you like more modern styled and sounding stuff you can try otu some spector and ibanez stuff. Not to say they can't get a nice all around tone, but they seem to be more popular for more hardcore and metal styles. Make sure you factor in the cost of some kind of amp in what your willing to spend. A bass ain't much good without some amplification. ;) Happy huntin :)
  4. Try out different basses like they said, and compare and experiment. Don't settle with something thats less that what you want.. good luck man.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    3-400$ could score you a used MIJ fender.. I personally pefer Japanese fenders over mexicans. Japanese - (Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller sigs are really nice and so was some MIJ fretless I tried out not a clue on the name or whatever seemed just like a basic Fender that said made in japan on it) but its all to your preference just suggesting here :)
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have a MIM fender p, and i like it a lot.

I would also try going used, though.