buying a new cab? or amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hillbillyhotrod, May 20, 2005.

1. hillbillyhotrod

Apr 8, 2005
    hey guy this is my first post on here i think i usally just read all the good info but anyways.....

guys i need your input, i currently have a ampeg svt1000 (1000 watts @4ohms) head and a 412 cab(400 watts rms), it sounds great together but i cant use the full potenial of either, when im turning it up the cab farts out because theres to much wattage, and i cant get the cab really loud because im putting to much watts to it.

so im thinking of buying a smaller head svt pro 3 or a new cab ampeg 810 or Aguilar 412

now if i buy a smaller wattage head (450watts)will i be able to turn it up louder with out farting out the cab? now dont get me wrong it gets loud now but not really LOUD if you know what i mean.

now if i buy a bigger cab that can handle a 1000 watt head to its full potenial it should be really loud correct? and not get muddy or fart?

im not just looking for stupid loudness like i said i love the sound i have now it just would not be suitable for outside or large area playing,

basically i looking to get as loud as a crazy drummer and a full mesa boggie triple rec. stack

sorry i wrote a book but i need good advice from you all
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The 4x12 is 8 ohms, correct?

You may be running into a combination of issues.

The first one is, that the Ampeg preamps (in general) are designed to get a pretty gritty sound.

The second is, that smallish speakers tend to fart out at lower power than bigger speakers (especially at low frequencies - have you tried turning down the bass control on your amp?).

If it were me, I'd opt for an additional cab, before I'd reduce power on the amp. Power is important, for bass players. Especially with solid state amps.

Maybe you could take your rig to a music store, and check out how it sounds with an additional cab? My guess is, an extra cab might "slightly" reduce the speaker farts.

I'd suggest also, checking into perhaps a bigger speaker or speakers, like a 15 or an 18, to complement the 12's. That might give you some of the low end "thump" you might be looking for.
  3. hillbillyhotrod

Apr 8, 2005
    i was going it look into that but the 412 is a 4 ohm cab
  4. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    decreasing your power will achieve the opposite of what you are after. think about it how could 350 watts be louder than 1000 watts with every thing else being equal. the first 350 watts put out by a 1000 watt amp will be much cleaner than a 350 watt amp dimed. in other words your farting problem will be a lot worse. i am not farmilliar with that particular amp, but you should make sure you are bridging it correctly and not running one side by mistake. if this is the case you probably are running 300 watts. you need clean power to get loud and the worst thing you can do is crank the bass knob. that will rob you of power quickly. set the eq flat and see how it goes. you ought to be able to get a pretty good sound out of that rig of yours.
  5. hillbillyhotrod

Apr 8, 2005
    this might sound dumb but i geuss i have it hooked up right 1/4 output from amp to 1/4 input on cab

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree completely with nonsqtr and want more power not less...headroom is your friend
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, sounds like you need more clean headroom and volume out of your cabs. One thought might be to rewire the 4 ohm cab, so you can parallel other cabs with your head. That's actually pretty easy, but some people don't feel comfrotable doing that (or having it done). The other thought would be to trade in your 4 ohm cab for two 8 ohm cabs, both of which are reasonably "efficient". Ampeg cabs aren't known to be all that efficient most of the time, but there are some speakers that are probably better in that regard - some of the EV's for instance, or the older JBL's (like the E-140's and so on). The volume you can pump on stage is a somewhat complex product of your wattage, your speaker size (ie how much air they can push), and speaker efficiency. The cab construction might have something to do with it too. Perhaps the best thing might be to take your head into some music stores (on a quiet day), and see what kinds of cabs it reacts best to. I'd focus on the "two 8-ohm cabs" concept, usually if you parallel two good cabs you'll get the volume you need, especially with a decent head. A kilowatt is a pretty good source, with a 4 ohm total load there ought to be some combination of cabs that will work for you. :)
  8. hillbillyhotrod

Apr 8, 2005
    where can i find info on rewiring the cab