1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobTheMusician, Mar 14, 2010.

1. RobTheMusician

RobTheMusician

Mar 14, 2010
    so i play a lot of metal music, mainly death metal. i have some money saved up, and i am looking to buy a new combo amp to replace my 10 watt ibanez. i have been playing for about a year, and i feel like its almost time for an upgrade. i dont really want a huge amp, as i am 15, so im not in a band, just practice in my basement. what would you suggest for me, in the price range of about 200 dollars? keep in mind that i might look around local pawn shops to see what kind of a deal i can get, or musiciansfriend.com

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Rob, I can't really tell you what you can get for $200 specifically, but you are on the right track looking at used gear. Your money will a LOT further.

Also, I know that you say that you are only 15, but if you have any intention of playing in a band ever, consider getting as much amp as you can swing. This may force you to save a bit more money before you buy, but if you go too small at this stage in your bass playing life, you may find that you just have to buy a bigger/better rig again when you do find a band to play with.

Keep in mind that if you are just practicing at home today, you probably don't need much more than what you have already.

OTOH, I do understand that having an amp that provides good tone to your ear certainly makes it more interesting to keep playing.

Some suggested gear to look for used:

GK backline
    Eden Nemesis
    Behringer (yes, I said it!)
    Fender
    Peavey
    Traynor
    Hartke

good luck and play on :bassist:

3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    For a combo in the $200 used range, I'd suggest the following:

SWR Workingman's 10 or 12; I'm more a fan of the mid-period units that have a horizontal orientation and gray ratfur, instead of the older horizontal jobbies with black fuzz covers. Go for the 12 if you can - you'll find it more useful as you start to play out.

Fender BXR. I've heard some of the small and mid-BXR amps, and they sound really solid and good - I think there was a 100-watt model with a 15 that probably prices out around $200 used. I'm not a student of the Fender line, but the BXR's seem better than a lot of their product, and definitely avoid the "rumble" series.

Ampeg. You might get lucky and get one of the 1x12 or 1x15 entry models in the $200 range.

There are plenty of others that would work just fine - I've heard old Yamaha combos from the 1980's that are surprisingly good - but you can't go wrong with the ones I've suggested.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020