Buying a New P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeastSternecker, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    This is my first post so tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

I have been planning on buying a new precision bass for quite some time now. Originally, I had planned on buying the Mexican made fender p bass due to the low price and good sound. Due to fender's sonic boom sale it's $530, very reasonable.

Today, I went to my local music store and the guy there was selling a Tokai pbass. (I think they're called hard punchers) He said it was made in the 1970's, although he doesn't know the exact year. It had quite a few dings on it and look "used" to say the least. It was also missing tone/volume knobs. It had a BA bridge on it and original pick ups. He was asking $500 for it. It sounded really, really good.

So I'm looking for some opinions! What do you think about tokais? How do they compare to MIM fender p basses? Which one should I buy? Do you think I could talk the guy with the Tokai down at all due to the aging?

The tokai was golden and had a black pickguard. It looked really cool and very vintage.

I went back in today. The tokai was the TPB-57 model. There was no sticker on the back.

2. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Did you play the Tokai? Unless it really spoke to you, $500 seems ridiculous (high).
    You may be better off with a brand new MIM (with that new bass smell and warranty).

3. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Well, from what I have read about the Tokai, they were a pretty solid P bass and the few I have seen selling on Kijiji and Craigslist seem to be selling around the 450-550 range.

They are touted as "comparable" to Fender USA models, what that means exactly I dont know as I have never seen or played one.

Personally I have a Mexican Standard P and a Mexican Classic 50's P. I picked up the Classic 50's used for 500 and it is a smokin bass. If you can hold on and find one of those, its a big step up from my standard P.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    got an 84/85 japanese squier for 375 that is extremely nice, just play some fender style basses to compare, there was an ibanez/memphis p clone here in the classifieds that seemed really cool for 350, new basses are pretty pricey unless you get lucky

5. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    I did play it and it sounded really good. The bass just felt so solid and looked really cool too. Maybe I should go to the shop and offer him a reasonable price? What's a reasonable price for it?

6. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    I had a 1980 Tokai Hard Puncher about 6 years ago. It was a fantastic bass and I really regret selling it. Prices on the vintage ones are going up these days I find. I paid about €350 for mine.
    Basses.jpg

7. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    Does $500 seem to high?

8. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    One thing to look out for on them is a little oval sticker on the back of the neck down at the heel. This usually says 40 or 60 I think and IIRC the 60 was the more expensive model. Mine was a 60.

9. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    It seems about the top end of what I would pay for one but instruments are a lot cheaper in the US than they are here in Ireland.

EDIT: after a quick currency calculation $500 is about €375. I would pay that no problem for a good one, but like I said instruments are more expensive here...... for example a USA Fender Jazz costs about €1300 new

10. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    Any ideas on talking him down on the price?

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If it's pretty beaten up, $500 is definitely more than I'd pay.

Maybe $300 - 350?

Bob

12. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the response! I think I'll try to talk him down a little bit. That will make it easier to buy. It seems to be very high quality and great sound.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Tokai seems like a good deal. I've never played one but they seem to be liked by those who have owned them. If used is an option I see sweet P bass deals in the TB classifieds quite often.

14. BeastSternecker

BeastSternecker

Aug 5, 2013
    There was no sticker. It wa a Tokai TPB-57. Should they still have the sticker?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021