1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying A New Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starburst, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    I am pretty much set to buy a new Rickenbacker 4003. The only problem is there are only a limited number of sellers that have them in stock on line and there are no dealers nearby so it looks like it will have to be an online purchase. The only three I could find with either Fireglo or Jetglo (Have not decided yet) in stock are Musiciansfriend, Music123, and Bass Emporium. I checked the reviews for these and they seem pretty positive. I thought Sam Ash would be good but found the customer ratings pretty poor for them. Not looking for used, only brand new. Thoughts and opinions on these appreciated or if you can suggest other reputable dealers that have them I would appreciate it. Thanks.:bassist:

2. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Don't know where you are, but American Musical Supply rocks. I ordered an ABG around 2 PM one afternoon and it was out for delivery 6AM the next morning. Same free shipping, 45 day return as MF and others.

They're in NJ and I'm NY as reference. I believe they have a warehouse elsewhere in the States too.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Thanks, Checked them out but only Mapleglo in stock. Jetglo & Fireglo due in at the end of the year.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was at Bass Emporium recently and know folks who've dealt with them. Great store and very stand-up guys.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Bass Northwest has a blue one and a fireglow one, both new on their web page. They are a reputable brick and mortar store with a pro staff. So, I would feel comfortable buying sight-unseen from them.

Go to bassnw.com and find the "new basses" link and click onto it.

6. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Good luck with your new bass! (when you get it). I would really love a new FG4003 myself.

I do look on E-Bay , pretty much everyday, and there are 4003s in FG,MG,JG. Prices seem to fluctuate 100 bucks or so in different directions. Whats the deal with these basses? You read things like: "I was given the oppotunity to hand select this Rick" How?????/ Is it a good idea to stay away from the E-Bay basses?

I have a 2007 Gibson "money"natural finish..... and an Epi.. Jack Casady goldtop both bought on e-bay..... both are perfect! Brand new condition when I bought them.

Should you stay away from Ricks that are on E-Bay???
    Im not trying to hijack.... but your post really got me thinking

By the way..... Jack just signed my pickguard for me!!:) and what a great sounding bass it is!

7. .....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645716&highlight=rickenbacker

You can get a brand new Rickenbacker for $1,559.50 :eek:

Look at Gbase.com and send an email request for quote to the dealers listed who sell brand new Rics.

Good luck!

P.S. Maybe you'll consider becoming as Supporting Member here on TalkBass given all the $$$ you will save on the purchase of your new Rickenbacker. You would've never gotten this type of information at the Rickenbacker site. That I can guarantee you. :smug:

8. I bought a Jetglo from MF a little over 2 years ago. They air-shipped it to me. No worries. Arrived problem free in about 3 days.

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I just bought my Rickenbacker 4003 (Fireglo) about 3-4 months ago and all I can tell you is that, if you don't want to get a lot more attention than you already do, don't get a Rickenbacker LOL. Just about everytime I bring mine out to a gig somebody comes up to me and tells me how cool the the thing is.:D

10. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Thanks all. Sent out some e-mail price requests at Gbase.com so we will see what I get for quotes. Ebay can be a crapshoot for any item not just guitars. While there are a good number of good sellers there always check the feedback, ask lots of questions, and ask for more detailed pics. Always remember its after the sale that counts, if its wrong, will they make it right? For this reason alone I would rather buy from a legitimate dealer.

11. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    No Doubt good advise! The basses I bought just happened to be great. But for every good one..... I bet there is a not so good one. Let us know how you make out!

12. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Oh yeah, unfortunately, where I am, we dont have a whole lot of music stores all stocked up with basses. It would be ideal to play and pick your own purchase right?

13. Azalin

Azalin

Mar 9, 2010
    Greece
    I'm sure it has already been asked and replied quite a few times, but since there's an active thread right now..

a) What to check on an ebay sold ric or how to verify it?
    Some code? Country of origin/construction?

and

b)How come none of these stores already posted ships to Europe :meh: (which makes ebay the only way)