1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a new rig - tell me how this will probably sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-Forty, Sep 23, 2008.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    This week and have the opportunity to purchase the following:

Ampeg SVT-450H head
    Behringer Ultrabass BA210 cabinet (Two 10" BUGERA alu cones and a 1" horn driver pump out 500 Watts)
    Behringer Ultrabass BA115 cabinet (A large-diameter 15" BUGERA alu cone and a 1" horn driver combine to crank out 600 Watts of power)

In theory this should sound good I think. The 10s should provide good high end and brightness while the 15 moves a lot of air, right?

I'm a n00b, so be nice. Should this provide a good sound for my punk band?

2. Pump Man

Pump Man Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Pasadena, MD
    Will you be playing 4 or 5 string basses?

3. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    The Head should be okay its pretty average but you can get some fairly good tones out of it. I wouldnt get those cabs though maybe look into some ashdown mag cabs they will be able to handle that head. Behringer have a high chance of just breaking down on you quite quickly.

4. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I play 4 string. A 1983 T-40 that is, as you may already know, naturally very gritty sounding.

The kind of music my band plays is mid tempo, gritty post-punk. Nothing too frantic or fast. More rockin and punchy.

5. Yay! I love punk. You been to L&M yet? They have good deals on cabs that used to be rentals, Trace Elliot...Do you have to purchase the cabs to get the head, package deal? There are a lot of members from the northern border that could prob chime in and give you some good advice as far as fair pricing, what you should pay.

What is your budget like? Have you looked for used gear?

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Break down, eh? Are you saying the construction of the cabinets is poor or the speakers won't handle the head for a long time? I don't mind putting in some better speakers sometime down the line..

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I haven't been to LandM yet. Just moved to Canada not too long ago. I will check them out though!

My budget is around 800-900. Both the head and cabs I have listed are used. Head is $550 and the cabs are both for $300.

8. Behr..... cabs have been known to break down, fart out. Some say the power handling is exaggerated. Others have used them for years without problems. They just have a reputation the a "noob" should be aware of :D

9. Holy bologna, thats the used price? Is that in yen? :eek:
    That seems really high even for Canada. My advice is get to the local L&M and see what you can put together. You might be able to get away with just one cab for right now and add a second one later.

10. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Well, I am open to using a 4x10 as well. I'm just looking for the most economical route.

$550 doesn't seem terribly high for a year old 450h. They're $750 at musicians friend and at axemusic.com (canadian site)

11. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah i think you could do better for $550, even in canadia.
    i picked up an SVT-150H for pretty cheap last weekend- granted it needs a little TLC (i do enjoy messing with electronics anyway) It works and sounds OK- not fully tubey, but somewhere between GK superhifi and a real SVT. i figure the SVT450H would sound similar.

as far as the behringer stuff goes- i had a practice amp of theirs with an aluminum cone- it sounded like mud. it didn't fail on me (well maybe once or twice) but i think their quality control is really hit-or-miss.
    some of their things sound OK (some pedals), but their amps and such sound really muddy to me. IME they are like good projects- they all need some changes to sound decent. I really think that you could find better cabs, even at that super cheap level.

you should check out the for sale section around here, there are some GK amps for cheap, and i think i saw an SVT3pro within your pricerange the other day...i'm sure the exchange rate is in your favor more these days too!

12. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK so i just checked the exchange rate-
    it almost IS in your favor. $1.03 CAD-> $1.00 USD

I remember when it was more like $1.50 CAD >$1 USD

dude.

13. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Haha! The highest our dollar went was $1.12. Never close to $1.50.

I found that SVT 3 Pro. Not sure if the guy will ship to Canada though. We'll see.

After shipping it could be not worth it

14. Loud.

Seriously though, I've never heard a Behringer cab, but I know many don't really like their electronics that much. You might try just getting a nicer 410 cab and skip the 15. I use an Epifani UL2 410 and I get tons of low end. Personally I would skip the 15 and upgrade the 410. You can always buy a 15 down the road.

15. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    The 450h is a loud head then?

The guitarists are using a laney/behringer half stack and a marshall MG something or other/marshall half stack.

16. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  17. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    450W @ 4 ohms is decently loud, esp if you have cabs with a nice dB sensitivity.

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Behringer cabs have a nasty habit of farting out. At a bass club I went to someone's Behringer decided to just stop working during the middle of a lesson. Keep the head, but get some Ashdown or Ampeg cabs. (so the curtain matches the drapes)

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    IMO, one big cab would make more sense to me. One big NON-BEHRINGER CAB. Anything rated for 450W or more and 4Ohms...

20. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Awesome. If the SVT 3 Pro isn't doable I'll just go with the 450h and check L&M for a decent 4x10.