Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a new stack- - Gallien Krueger OK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FLEADOMBOUND, Mar 19, 2002.

1. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    I've liked the 1001RB running into a 4x10 Bi-amped. How'd the sound be with my Stingray 4 string. I finally have the dough to spend (after saving like a mother) and it seems impossible to decide. I play different styles of music (from PJ to Train), but I love aggresive slap most of all. Help me out a little. Thanx....

2. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    >>>"How will it sound ??" <<<

...well that depends......how good are ya?? ;)

...have you played thru it yet??
    That's the best way to tell...... :)

PJR

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Good question!

How did you decide on GK?

How much money are you prepared to spend?

What types of music do you play?

How big is your band?

4. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    How good.....well it's easy to say this or that from a bass forum, I guess you could say that I can hold my own. My band is starting to play some bigger shows and I'm hoping that the new rig I get will be able to keep up. We play covers like STP, PJ, Black Crowes, RHCP and other stuff that rocks. Our own stuff is catching a lot of attention and I'm stuck on what to get. GK was just a brand I stumbled across. With those kinds of covers, what would you guys recommend. I'm looking at a head to go with 4x10 setup that can push decent sized venues. I'm a newbie with high end equip, from being po' and all. Does that help a little???

5. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    By the way....I've scratched and saved about 2k for my new setup..that should help a little.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, for the money, a GK rig ain't half bad at all.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait...2K? you could get an Eden 410XLT and a WT-400 for $2000! That would be a killer rig, better than the GK, IMHO.

8. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    Really....why would you prefer an Eden setup over GK? How would it sound playing with a 4-string Stingray? Would it be good for some aggresive slap?

9. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    For 2k, you could get four 410's and a couple used carvin r1000 heads off ebay

Those cabinets are pretty sweet, and i belive that there is already a thread started on them. here is a link to the place where you can get the cabs www.avatarspeakers.com

the setup that i wanna get is a a carvin r1000 and a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab from the avatar. thats jstu my litle input.

=w=slicks=w=

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The D-410XLT's are pretty much THE standard for the rock cabinet (others disagree). They have a mid/low spike in the frequency response that makes them cut through like a mother, and with some EQing, it'll slap like a mother. Very good rig, better hands down than GK in a lot of people's opinions (including mine)

Eden is where it's at.

11. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. FOR SOME REASON I HAVE OVERLOOKED EDEN, DESPITE HEARING A BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS. I'VE PRETTY MUCH CHANGED MY MIND....THANKS MAN!

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    id go with the Eden before the GK..

i really didnt like GK cabs.. maybe you should try an Eden 410xlt with the GK head.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's another thought. I like the GK heads enough, not my buckey o' bolts, but nice anyway. Paired with a 410 (or heck, if you feel saucey, a 2x15), it'd slam some gratuitous booty, specially when getting the Slap treatment from a Ray.

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah slick, I ordered a 4x10 and 1x15 setup from Avatarspeakers.com . Should be here soon. Can't wait!!! The price is right and from what I hear and have read, so is the sound!!!

Quad

15. ShadosOfKoRn

ShadosOfKoRn Guest

Mar 19, 2002
    De Pere, Wi 54115
    DUDE!!! another thing that pisses me off is when i am playing or getting ready to play and people keep turning my amp off, GAH! I just want to decapitate them when tey do that:mad: :mad:

16. stop yelling!!!!!!

lol

You could get a Bass 750x with a Goliath III and rock the house with a phat sound with some sweet overdrive.

17. TheBigBadBass

TheBigBadBass

Mar 19, 2002
    jeannette
    Dude....with that kinda cash go all tube all ampeg baby. I was at the GC this week and the SVT410hlf totally rocked. It had much more low end force behind it than most of the other 410's there and I was only using I think a b2r or b5r through. With 2k you could get a sweet cab like that as well as a really nice all-tube ampeg svt-cl or other nice ampeg head! A musicman through an ampeg is like heaven!

18. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    Ampeg is something I'll have to think through. The eden head we're talkin about isn't all tube? You might have a good point because Ampeg might even be a little cheaper than the eden. What's the difference between 4ohm and 8ohm (another topic, I know, but bare with me....) Thanx for the response, this newbie appreciates it.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Eden has a solid state power section and a tube pre section. Much clearer than Ampeg, by most standards, and just as low. the XLT blows the HLF out of the water with ease.

Ohms are a matter of impedance, with a higher impedance, less power is put out. So 8 gets less power than 4. They also add lower, so two 8 ohm cabs make a 4 ohm load, two 4 ohm cabs make a 2 ohm load, which most people consider a little low, and runs too hot, but YMMV.

20. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Peavey Bam Head, w/ Peavey Pro 4x10, & a Peavey Kosmos in the Loop!!!!

Then you can sound like all those amps that have been mentioned.:D