Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying a rig! need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Dec 28, 2001.

1. i know what i'm looking for, but what is the difference between a pre-amp and head? and do i need to get a preamp as well as a head for my cab?

(Yahoo! post 800!)

2. A "head" is a combination of a preamp (tonal controls) and a poweramp (the amplification section). BTW, a "combo" amp combines pre and power amps along with a speaker(s).

Some people like to buy seperate preamps and poweramps. The main reason is that you can change or upgrade either the preamp or the poweramp without having to change the other in the event you are happy with it. The down side of going this route is that a seperate pre and power amp is costlier than a head.

Also, even though a poweramp in itself does not provide tonality, different poweramps can have an affect on a preamp differently which would cause the preamp to change its tonal charecteristics.

I hope this helps you.

3. You need to buy a head, cabinet, preamp, and poweramp.

..and then give them to me!:D bwahahaha

4. yeah right, ok i'm back! with a B-3 Ampeg combo! yay! it's sounds sweeeeet! it's 100 watts with 4 ohms

5. Is this the B3 with on 15" speaker? I'm thinking about getting one. How loud will it get?

6. it has A 15" speaker, and it also has a midrange..

take a look at it, if you can shell out about a grand maybe, but i got mine for $777!

http://www.ampeg.com/

i got the B-3158

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    pfffph, freakyfendy, that aint no rig, you stinkin' bum! A rig is an 8x10 with 5000 watts. Now THATS a rig. Naw, congrats on your new amp. :)

8. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Yea thats a nice 8x10 rig with 5000 watts too bad all your speakers are blown because you overpowered it. Now maybe with 2 8x10's and a 1x15 and of course 2x12's! I like the idea of that. Anyone wanna give some money so I can make this idea not a dream? How come you bought the B3?? I mean its nice but its kinda hard to gig with it. I woulda gone with a B2R head with a 15" because then you get 200watts at least or you could get the pro series...anyway I hope you enjoy it! Ampeg is not overrated(some people just get crappy ones!)