1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a second Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichiBass, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Buy a Fender Japan '75 RI

27 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Buy a Sadowsky Metro

35 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Buy a Lakland Darryl Jones or Joe Osborn

45 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Buy another bass (please specify)

17 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. Play your Fender and let the GAS down...

48 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Hello,

I currently own a '05 Highway One Jazz Bass, upgraded with Fender Custom Shop pickups, BadAss II bridge and Schaller Security Locks. I'm very please with this bass, I like it very much, but the tone is a little bit muddy / dirty (especially with old strings), and the neck has some buzzez (I can't lay the action down without partial buzzez). So I'm looking for a second Jazz Bass, better Jazz Bass.
    The options would be mainly Fender Japan, Lakland or Sadowsky Metro, although the Metro is very expensive for me.
    I'm looking for a warm tone, with a lot of bass, but clear and pushing in the low mids, do I look for the "vintage" tone?
    So, any other suggestions?
    Or what should I buy? I have to buy unseen, because I cannot try these basses in Romania.

Thank you very much.

Michi

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Assemble a Frankenbass. You have virtually unlimited possibilities for a fraction of the price.

3. The first thing I would do is get a pro setup on the Jazz I have. Fret buzz can be cured!

4. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    Get a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn or... a Skyline Darryl Jones. ;)

5. Pro setup and maybe some TI flats or a fresh set of rounds.

The combo will be cheaper than any decent bass.

6. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    I have a Marcus Miller Jazz bass with a John East pre-amp. It seems to me that with this pre, you can dial in any tone you want. The combinations are unlimited! Hence, a cheaper jazz with the John East pre should be the answer. One negitive: the per amp is not cheap.
    Maurice:bassist:

7. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Mabey its the acoustic quality of the bass but ever think different pickups may give the sound you're looking for? Mabey look at descriptions of different pickups and see if a switch is in order.

+1 to pro setup and new strings.

8. setup + new strings + J-retro preamp =:bassist::hyper:

ed

9. +1

you will have a one of a kind bass

also its lots of fun

10. id put it on the wood rather than the pickups. i wouldnt call custom shop 60's muddy at all.

11. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    I would agree with the others about getting a good setup done. Barring that I would always go with the real deal, I've always liked the way Fenders played.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    1. My MIJ 75 RI J is the best J I've played. I have played a bunch including Lakland and Sadowsk. This one is magic ... mid 90's flavor.

2. Sounds like your H1 really needs new strings and a setup to me. That bass should never be described as muddy. If anything - they need a little taming with the BA bridge. Me - I'd keep that bass, lose the BA and replace it with a more traditional bridge (unless you're into Death Metal and just love the clang. If so keept it on there!) then string up with Thomastic Infeld Super Alloy's. The H1 can be a very good bass in my opinion. I have yet to play one I thought was a dog. Not in the league of my 75 RI - but not much I've played is ...

13. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i just got my first Sadowsky yesterday so that's where my vote went

14. Keep the bass you have.

1. Get a full fret-dress, followed by a setup, and give the tech new strings.
    2. Ditch the BA like 4Mal said. Get a bent plate bridge, I like the Gotoh 203B-4.
    3. Play!

If you really want a second Jazz, go with the MIJ Fender, or a Bacchus (Handmade series), or an old ESP, basically anything you can get from Japan and you'll be laughing.

15. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    American Joe Osborn basses are absolutely the best 4 string Jazz Basses that I've ever put my hands on.

16. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Buy some new and different strings. Strings make a world of difference:cool:

17. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    If you want warm and vintage the JO fits that best of the basses in your poll. Otherwise how bout trying out a P bass.

18. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    You can get the bass to sound like you want with a good setup, but if you want another option i think a Joe Osborne is what you look for.

19. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I vote that you bug "LMBass" and get him to build you a Mollerup "That 70's Bass" :bassist:

20. Thanks for all the replies !
    I'm gonna set it up properly and save up for a japanese Fender in this time.