1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a speaker for a DIY cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pexy13, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Pexy13

Pexy13

Aug 14, 2019
    Greetings!
    I am currently under process of building my own bass amp and cab.
    I found an amp design I think would do me just fine. Now the cab part.
    I'm from Croatia and I found only one music store that has separate speakers you can buy. (Zvučnici i pribor - Muziker HR)
    Could someone give me a website or two where I could search for a speaker I can use in my project. Are there any speaker brands you would recommend and ones I should avoid?
    If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll give my best to answer them as best as I can.
    Thanks!

Stumbo likes this.
  2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Do you have a cabinet design you're working with? There should already be a driver selected that thw cabinet is designed for.

As far as speaker choice, I wouldnt even begin to know what is available to you, but Eminence, FaitalPro, Celestion and B&C are popular and reputable brands that make bass drivers. Peavey Black Widow drivers are pretty forgiving of cabinet designs, efficient, reliable, have good worldwide distribution and tough as nails.

3. You start with a driver that you like the specs of THEN you design and build a box that supports the driver’s parameters. All else is a crapshoot.

Pexy13, xaosbass, SteveIII and 2 others like this.
  4. Pexy13

Pexy13

Aug 14, 2019
    I don't have a cabinet design. I was thinking of designing the cab around the speaker so that it suits its characteristics better. Thanks for the recommendations.

AstroSonic, xaosbass and Haroldo like this.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Paging @Arjank

He has posted several times about a Romanian(?) driver manufacturer that's he's very fond of. I just remembered the name: Oberton.

6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    You can get a lot of stuff from Thomann in Germany. Also, Blue Aran and Lean Audio in the UK are quite good. Given that Croatia is in the EU, you should have no trouble buying from Europe (at least until Brexit actually happens...)

pie_man_25, HaphAsSard and Pexy13 like this.
  7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Pexy13 and pie_man_25 like this.
  8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    There are some good plans to be had from either greenboy or Bill Fitzmaurice. These would allow you to start building a cab without getting into the design step, which can be daunting.

fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys
    Jack
    Simplexx

The Simplexx cabinets will work with a variety of speakers, while the Jacks and fEARfuls use more targeted speakers.
    There are also quite a few DIY threads here on TB that might suit your needs as well.

Pexy13 likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Pexy13 likes this.
  10. Pexy13

Pexy13

Aug 14, 2019
    Thank you all. You have been very helpful.