Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a Spector Legend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, Mar 19, 2005.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Allright so I'm pretty sure I have made my decision to buy a spector legend 4 string probably the natural bubinga. I have a few options of how to get it here they are and what do you reccomend.

1. GearTree.com 499$ (best price I've found) they have a 45 day return policy also

2. wait till one comes one ebay, but i can afford a new one

3. Go to Guitar center and try to make them lower theirs from 599$ to 499$ by showing them guitartree.com's (not sure if this will work heard someone say they did it in another thread)

so out of these options what do you think is the best idea?
    -Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can haggle GC down to 499, and youve played the one you want to buy and it checks out, get that. If they wont go down that low, go geartree.

3. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    ok thx ill try next time i get the chance to go there (freakin 1hr away)

4. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I would still purchase it online. You have tax to worry about, and Guitar Center isn't a very ...good... place to purchase from. I'd go there to try out the Spector Legend, then if you really want it then just go geartree.com. That's what I would do.

5. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Cool yeah I am kinda leaning that way because i just remembered that the one at GC the bridge and knob's seemed to be a little bit corroded or chipped and if im buyin it new i want that gold to look new and polished.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You could probably get them to take off even more if it's a floor model.

7. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah it is but i have the money and want a new one

8. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hey does anyone know a good hardshell case for this bass because i would like one and dont want to buy the spector one for like 170$

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  10. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Thanks for the link

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just got an amberburst 4 with a spector hardshell on ebay at a very reasonable price. MUCH less than you'd pay for the bass alone at a store. These are nice basses guys. I'm shocked that a low end bass is this well put together and sounds and looks so good. Bargains CAN be found.

12. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've had my Legend 4 for a little over a week and IMO it's a great bass. I ordered the amberburst finish from Geartree.com for $499. It was packed well, setup well - just had to tune it up to A-440 (was tuned pretty close to Eb). IME you'll be better off ordering from GT than buying at GC. I always hear of people getting great deals at GC, but I've yet to hear of it happening to someone I know personally, or even to me.

I also ordered the Spector Case from Musician's Friend - $50 less than Spector's website price. Nice tight fitting case, it cradles the bass' curved body really well.

I gigged with it Friday night and couldn't put it down. Like I said, GREAT BASS. The neck feels much better after several hours of playing. I love this bass!

13. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah I was looking into buying the spector case from musicians friends. But the price is still kinda high. I'm wondering if the Legend will fit in Musicians Friend Hardshell case. Also the reviews on the Spector case didnt look to great..

14. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    anyone?

15. sorry to intrude on this guys thread, but I am considering the same kinda bass and i have a question. I have heard that spectors have extremely wide necks, is this true???

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Page...its not so much a wide neck, as a rounded one. It doesn't really bother me on the 4 strings, but the Spector 5s are almost unplayable to me. I have rather large hands, but I'm a jazz bass guy, the spector 5's just feel wrong to me. I'd suggest trying one out first.

17. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah The neck on the legend 4 I played a GC wasnt to big and felt alot like my Affinity Pbass's neck. When i played the euro's there the necks felt pretty darn fat.