1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying a suit...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, May 2, 2006.

1. High school prom is coming up, and to be fair, I need something damn classy - not just for the prom.
    So I'm going for a tux/suit. Is there a difference?
    This is something I want to be able to wear anywhere; night out, mild clubbing, funerals, weddings, gigs etc.

Ideally, I need the lovely members of talkbass to recommend brands that make great jackets & pants. It needs to be durable; but I don't really want to spend anymore than £150 on the jacket + pants.

I'll most likely be buying from here.
    This shop has lots of brands they can't advertise, so if there is anything on that list that ain't there, shoot 'em at me and I'll see if I can find them.

I've seen what my date is wearing. Hubba hubba! So I need to return the favour; and make everyone else want me, too. Of course, being a bassist, this won't be difficult... :smug:

Thx for any tips ;)

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Fork up the cash, and have one tailor made. Or, get an Armani.

-Mike

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Mike, I normally agree with you, but if he's prom age, his body will probably re-form itself in like 6 months.

I can't buy my son anything right now unless the need is immediate. He justs grows out of it too fast.

Some long term purchases that were a disaster because of growth spurts:

* More dress clothes that were worn once than you can shake a stick at
    * One Mountain Bike, replace 2 years later
    * One set of golf clubs. Had to have them extended at the pro shop.

I'm lucky that my son can wear my Tux to the prom. There's no way to get him a suit that will last more than a few uses. He's 6'3 with a 32" waist, and super long arms

Or did I go off topic here....?

4. A tux usually has a satin stripe down the side of the legs and the lapel is also satin, while a suit does not have that.
    Tuxedos are also usually only found in black, suits come in multiple of colours.
    I suggest buying a dark blue or black suit. It will get more use than a tux.
    As far as brands go, you should not always look at the brand unless you are a poser. What counts is the quality of the wool and how the pants and jacket are lined for comfort. Try before you buy.
    good luck

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A tux is different from a suit, so I would recommend buying a suit if you plan to wear it to other events. Finding a quality suit, in your budget, that will work for all those different types of events will be difficult. I'd give you some general guidelines:

The suit should be made of wool, or a wool blend. It's not as itchy as it sound, and is quite common in suits. Cotton suits will wrinkle easily, and synthethic fabrics look cheap and tacky.

Look for three-button jackets. They are more modern. Avoid double-breasted like plague.

Consider flat front pants (those without pleats.) The pants should have a full break (ask the tailor what that means) to keep them from looking like highwaters.

Get either dark grey or dark blue in a solid color. These are the most versatile. Black suits can be tricky. They make most people look like a wanabe mobster.

No matter what you get, getting it properly tailored is key. The pant legs should be measured and hemmed with a full break. The jacket should be tailored to keep it from looking like a tent. The sleeves should be the proper length. This type of tailoring isn't cheap, but it can make a cheap suit look almost custom made.

I can't really recommend brands, because I don't know what available in your country. It will be hard to buy a well-made, fashionable suit for that amount of money. But, quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend that anyone at your age buy an expensive suit. Find a suit that is reasonably well made, and spend the money to have it properly tailored.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

As a first suit I would recommend a very dark blue
    as opposed to black. You don't always want to look like
    the waiter.

Avoid trendy. A classic blue with subdued pinstripes is
    appropriate for just about every occasion, prom, funeral or wedding,
    semi-formal work functions or your first job as a civil
    servant or investment banker.

Wool is likely best given your climate. Good quality wool will
    wear very well and keep its press well if you are careful to
    hang it up and take care of it.

The accessories make the statements, the shirt, plain cuffs
    or French cuffs, cufflinks, ties and tieclip. You Brits are the
    masters of the studied slightly off kilter look, one of
    understated elegance and charm. Go for it.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ahh, thanks. Looks like I forgot to keep that small point in mind as I came up with a reply. :D

Avoid polyester like the plague. Even if the wool suit is just out of your budget, get it. Polyester screams cheap.

-Mike

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Or screams Brooklyn NY.

Don't touch the haaaaair.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Yep. You can buy a suit, but be realistic about the cost and how much use you will get out of it.

Another thing to think about: At some points in life, I have had need for a tux more in a year's time than a suit. In fact, I don't really have an updated suit anymore (I don't like them, just a personal pref), but I do own a tux. Sometimes the rental tux places will sell them for well under $200 US. Just a thought. If you wore it to 2 proms, a homecoming dance, and a couple of weddings, you'd be ahead of the game.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Most important: get something that fits.

Have you considered getting a dark suit from the local gents' store, and adding a splash of color with some nice shirt and a tie? Perhaps something for the spring time.. light green or pink shirt and nice lightly striped tie to go with that..

I don't know what's the official dresscode for a prom, but such combination would be both practical - dark suit can be used in any situation with the right accessories - and decently priced, and you could style it to look nice and easy-going. Also, usually the gents' stores offer tailoring services for minor modifications to the suit for a decent price, if the sleeves happen to be a tad too long or something.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Make sure it fits, don't spend too much as you WILL outgrow it, almost surely.

My favorite suit no longer fits. Was a perfect fit when I bought it about three years ago, it's way too small now since I came to college and started working out and got fat. HAHA.

12. Zoot suit, all the way. And, you will grow, so why not rent?

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Don't cheap out on a suit. A high quality brand means lighter materials and more comfort for you. I just rented a Ralph Lauren tux for my prom, and it was amazing.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    And dont you forget it :) *tilts hat*

15. Just go to Slaters, their service is pretty all inclusive and they're very knowledgeable. However, I also recommend checking charity shops- the suit I wore to my 6th year dance cost me £12.50 out a Cancer Research shop, and fits pefectly. The tux I have for classical gigs cost me £20 plus £10 of alterations. Its still a bit large on me, but I like it that way, its comfy to play in. Yes, I'm cheap. Not everyone would be happy with that route though. Good luck!

PS what school you at mate?

16. Nice! I've seen you around - what orchestra are you playing with?
    I'm at Kirkintilloch High - just outside Glasgow, near Kilsyth/Bishopbriggs/Lenzie etc.

The idea I'm going for is a fairly plain jacket + trouser combo, and a shirt that's a different colour depending on the light - dark blue/purple. Not sure of the material. I'll have a matching hanky, too for my jacket front pocket :smug:
    I'm also playing Bugsy Malone in the school show - so I'll be wearing it for that - just as well I don't get splurged...:ninja: