Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a used acoustic guitar.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Might give this a go. But don't know what to look for in an acoustic instrument and how to tell good from bad.

I'm not after the world, just something to knock about on with, perhaps, the occasional use on stage. £100 should get me something that's OK.

Advice on not getting stung would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The Yamaha FG series and the Washburn 'I forgot' should be in that price range. General stuff to look for-your buying a guitar not a bow and arrow. All the bass buying stuff comes into play, signs of abuse, warped neck, buzzes, you know.

Play quite a few of each model. I was asked to restring a Washburn for a friend who 'had this guitar'. It turned out to be a negelected but sound Washburn. I cleaned it and put the strings on it and it was an excellent finger picker. I was sad when it went back to the owner.

The point? Look over a period of time, have the money ready and get 'that' guitar when you see it.

3. Thanks, Chris.

Yes. I just wondered about the joint of neck to body and how to check it out without a potential seller realising I'd no real idea what I was doing :eek:

Saw a Yammy 12 string in the local paper - 'fact I've the ad here somewhere - yep.....Yammy FG411-12 @ £125. Ever use a 12er?

John

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've never seen neck to body problems and I've owned and borrowed various Eko's (cheap guitars) and played a some FG's older Takemines Kimbara's etc. Just look for cracks and stuff when they are not looking.

Yamaha's FG's are good for the money but with any mass produced guitars try a couple, production and age can cause a variation in quality.

RE 12's love them, won't own one as they are a pig to tune. Root position chords are very full and strummed stuff sounds scrummy. Anything picked sounds like the Byrds.

If it's not too far to travel try it anyway.If you want to spend a little more money the Taylor Baby/Big Baby guitars are very good but a little fragile so dont throw them around or leave them near kids. They are around the £200 mark new so you could get a sh one for £150.

Hang on

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    http://music.loot.com/scripts/lootsite.dll?search&pageid=search/searchform.htm

if you dont use loot try it. Ive checked for Taylor baby's and there are none. There are also no Martin travel guitars these are very small but good to strum on and about the £100 mark. There are a couple of Epiphones but I've not been that impressed by them. No Washburns. I tend to look at loot twice a week and program my postcode and 20 miles and see what's around.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Do Canadian Seagull brand guitars pop up over there? They tend to be a good value, and usually sound fantastic. I have a Seagull S6+ Folk of which I'm rather fond.

A friend has a Yamaha FG411 12 string, and it sounds great - much nicer than my Martin/Sigma solid top 12. That one may be the way to go - as a guitar wanker, I don't find a 12 appreciably harder to play than a 6. (I suck at both!) CS is spot on - a strummed twelve causes orgasms.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I forgot about Seagull. I've only played one and it was excellent but it had a pro set up. If I remember they are made by Godin as are Art and Lutherie.