Buying a used Jazz, what to look for/good years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soverntear, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    So obvious stuff like check the truss rod, pickups and pots. But what i am wondering is what year ranges are ideal for fender standard jazz? I cannot afford 60's or 70's. (this is all second hand) I know mid 2000's they changed the bridge to high mass, 2012 it seems they changed the pickups for the better. Thanks again for your time.

EDIT: Looking for passive only, about $1500 CAD

EDIT 2: okay so when did they change the names on the basses? Was standard and deluxe before.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What's your budget? Looking for used only?

3. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    1500 CAD is about the max, I'd prefer used, but I am not opposed to new if the price is right

4. wango55

wango55

Dec 21, 2011
    CT
    2000-2007 they changed the name to "American Series" line (which was later renamed American Standard in 2008. Word is that the QC was not as great during the "American Series" era, which is why they re-launched the American Standard in 2008. 2003-2007 had the S1 switch for series/parallel. The American Series also had heavier tuners, which coupled with the S1 switch, and perceived lower QC has made them seemingly less sought after. Different strokes for different folks of course. I have a 2004 Am Series Jazz that I scored a really good deal on 2 years ago and absolutely love. I wouldn't avoid those years specifically - you may get a better deal on a great bass - just make sure it's to your liking.

5. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Don't know if it can be found where are you, but I had AVRI '75 that was great, around your budget. That line (American Vintage ReIssue) has other models if 70' pickup spacing is not your thing.

johnnynitro and ColdEye like this.
  6. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto

I appreciate the info, so far from what I am reading 2012+ is the sweet spot. But good to know deal hunting could be worth it!

I'll have a look in to this line up. Anything in particular that makes this series stand out? I'll keep an eye out for a deal.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can get a NEW 75th Anniversary Jazz for well under your budget. They are only available in one color but they are phenomenal.

InnerCityBass, RGerhart and marchone like this.
  8. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Looking for a US model, but that's a solid price

9. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    As far as I know, AVRI is suposed to be best Fender offers, just beneath CS. They are of newer date (around 2012.) and MIA or MIJ. There was quite some treads here on TB and lots of praise.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Budget of $1500 CAD is ~ $1169 USD, you'll want something in Canada to keep shipping cost low. Looking at Reverb, I don't see anything that will meet that criteria.

11. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    FWIW, I’ve been more impressed with Mexican made Fenders than US made Fenders in the last few years. Lower price, better playability, equal - if not better - quality (the couple handfuls I’ve tried, at least) so if you’re buying something made 2018-present, don’t knock the Mexican made stuff, most of it is actually better quality that the US Fenders I’ve owned/played.

2012 is supposed to be one of the best years for US Jazz basses, they were called the “American Standard” series and came with CS60 pickups.

12. Used lakland skyline dj4 or 5 whichever you're after will save you some cash and the craftsmanship will be far above any fender.

Dr Zee, aus_bass, kentiki and 2 others like this.
  13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Reverb in Canada is pretty trash, IME. Best deals for gear are generally found on CL/Kijiji, where the seller is guaranteed local

DanGouge and RichSnyder like this.
  14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    In the US, if I saw a US Jazz bass under $1100 I would probably buy it for myself. The US market is pretty much out of the picture because it’s ~$200 to ship to Canada, add brokerage fees, add duties and you need to get the bass for $800 USD. That’s very, very rare.

tbz and sloppy_phil like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You're looking for a good musical instrument - early years of Fenders often get bigger price tags, because the market for early ones (driven a lot my boomers trying to relive their youths) has more demand than supply. For that reason, I'd avoid early Fenders (50's through 70's) - you're looking for a good musical instrument, not a piece of nostalgia, and if you're competing with collectors, you're paying an unnecessary price for things that don't matter to you. Stuff from the 80's on doesn't have the high price tag, and they're often better made instruments - don't get hung up on the exact year, though - the year is a guideline people use to try to get a better instrument, but good (and horrid) instruments were made every year that Fender has been in business - just find a good instrument, one that speaks to you.

If you play a lot of basses, at some point, you'll know - you'll find one that you really don't want to put back on the wall. No matter what year it is, no matter who made it, that's your bass - take it directly to the counter, do not let someone else hold it until you've paid for it and it's legally yours.

DavidEdenAria, Roger W, Yonni and 2 others like this.
  17. ahbradot

ahbradot

Dec 14, 2019
    Florida
    707GK “the Mexican made stuff, most of it is actually better quality that the US Fenders"
    popcorn.jpeg

westrock and Sparuto like this.
  18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Don’t get ripped off! Some of the asking prices (in the TB classifieds for example) are absolutely nutty. Do your research before you buy!

iammr2 likes this.
  19. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Very much am doing the research! Also planning local buying.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    99269435-0179-4B88-9FCA-874D84E2AB04.jpeg
    Coupla things/ my .02: Overall quality became more consistent after 2012, but there are beauties and duds in all years. I found "my" "passive" Fender J5 to be a USA Deluxe from 1998. It's super light, balances perfectly, has a great neck and sounds like chocolate thunder. I prefer passive so I had the preamp removed, the pups hardwired in series and the control plate changed (all reversible mods/parts stored). I call him One-eyed Jack. The Suhr era pickups are my personal favourites....either with dead rounds or TI flats (YMMV of course). I love the sound and feel of it so much I pounced on another '98 dlxe that sounds and plays just as great, but is heavier (9.5 vs 8.0 lbs). Because I always reach for the lighter one, the heavier one (trans blueburst/rw/white pg) is a closet queen. If you're ever in Mtl I'd prolly sell it at your price.

Lowendtech likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021