1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying a Vintage P Bass-Need some "value" help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toolmybass, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ok since 2006 i have been doing a pretty good job on deciding what i should pay for something based on shape/availability/current demand etc. just by watching auctions and doing lots of searches. I have an extremely mint '71 Jazz and now im looking for a P

Problem is....it seems that 1970 P basses are few and far between and they rarely come up for sale locally or evilbay. So finally i put up an ad locally in the wanted section.

Doing my searches it seems that 1969 and earlier on the Fenders seems to be a jump in price and everything 1973 and newer a significant decrease in price (obviously comparing basses in the same condition with orig case etc)

So i know there is alot of TB'ers who have Vintage P experience and can help me out offering this guy a legit price....here are the deets and pics

-1970 Fender P
    -Rosewood board
    -OHSC ( or at least a time period case)
    -elec all work fine
    -some checking in finish
    -would say 7 out of 10 condition?
    -not sure if orig ash-trays are included yet

What would be a "going rate" to offer on this bass...all help is appreciated. I know Jaymi is in Alaska but chimes in still...hopefully he sees this too. Thanks in advance TB'ers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    If its all original I'd say 2k is good start. A friend here was asking 2300 for his 70 p and sold it for 1800 cash...

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Looks like a pretty nice one. The values are up and down these days, but to me that looks like a good one to have.

Not sure what he is asking for, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $2,700 for it. But I can see that going for probably $3500 say at a Guitar Center.

That's just my 2-cents. It's def a nice one so if you can make it happen and that year speaks to you, I'd grab it.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'd rate that bass better than 7/10, given the age. I'd say more like 8/10. The bridge and knobs look really bright and shiny. Are they original?

5. I was wondering the same thing about an hour ago. I emailed the seller asking if the ashtrays were included and if they were orig. I hoping its a yes, then that could explain why the bridge is in such good shape. Its def easy to tell the ones that have had the bridge tray off their whole lives because they are pitted/rusted or just darker in color. Hope to get an email back from him soon....keep you posted

TMB

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    It all looks original to me. Has the long G intonation screw, which sort of narrows it down a little. I think those were used typically from '70 up to maybe '74 - hit or miss really, but that's my experience with that little detail. From the body tan lines, it does look like it has had the covers on most of it's life - Though I do agree with smdc, the actual bridge plate does look unusually bright.

7. Really?...then what would you rate my '71 Jazz at?...lol
    Its 100% orig down to every screw!
    [​IMG]

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'd rate that "museum piece"!

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Very Clean +

10. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd rate that '71 as 20/10.. lol - Was that NOS or what? That's crazy clean!

11. A small guitar shop in TN bought it off the orig owner who literally kept it in the closet..lol I bought it off the store!

Dang....think i just derailed my own thread! :mad:
    :bag:

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I like the P and the J both and think they'd make an amazing duo. If you are patient you can score a good deal, if you want something now you take what you can get. Good luck!

13. Seller confirmed everything is orig and orig covers are included!!!

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    That's remarkable. More pics? It deserves its own thread.

Common pricetag is $2-3K for a 8/10< 70's Precision. See if he'll bite at $2K. I'd put it at an 8/10 too. Any chance of playing it for a long time before deciding? Rich people problems.

15. What kind if condition was it in?

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $3,250 is close to top end retail for that bass. For the one you're looking at, if you're going to negotiate, I'd start at $2,250.

17. Looks to be in very nice shape.

Curious, when did Fender quit using threaded saddles?