Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying a Warwick in the UK.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Are there, please, any suggestions / recommendations for dealers in the UK who deal with Warwick - new or used instruments?

Thanks.

John

2. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
  3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know alot of people dont like it, but i like Bass centre in manchester, i know that Napper has quite a few warwicks in atm, from basic 4 string corvettes to special edition 5 string ltd semi hollows :)

4. Thanks, folks. Any further recommendations?

John

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The Gallery in Camden
    www.thebassgallery.com
    - very good selection covering the whole range, some secondhand ones too.

The Bass Centre (at the House Of Guitars), near Liverpool St
    www.basscentre.com
    - Reasonable selection, some very nice high end models.

Russ :bassist:

6. Rockin John

I would recommend The Gallery in Camden, London. It is a long way from you, but the guys are very good and they have a stock of new and used Warwicks.

Give Alex [who runs the shop] or Martin [the owner and builder of Sei basses] a ring and see what they have. They are amazingly helpful.

HTML:
    www.thebassgallery.com
    Tel. 020 7267 5458

If you do speak to them say hello from me.

Regards and happy hunting

Matthew

7. XO

You are too quick for me! :D

Matthew

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Not sure if you have one close to you, but Sound Control in Glasgow has a wide range of Warwicks........maybe one near you has a good range too!

They do them mail order as well.....

www.soundcontrol.co.uk

They also do Spector basses - UK distributer for Spector (well, that's what Warwicks were originally based on innit.....;))

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Incidentally, are MAD still the UK Warwick distributors? I'd heard they'd gone out of business...

Russ :bassist:

10. Hey

Give Jon at Academy Of Sound Leeds a Ring..

He's a great bass player plus he owns Warwicks exclusivly and really knows everything..has been on factory tours and all sorts and is very knowledgeable

The Number is

0113 245 6415

Also Academy of Sound are doing a 10 day Mega sale so0o if u get in quick you can buy now pay 2005....without incuring a charge..

Mint..!!!

11. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Rocking john> which Warwick model are you looking for?

12. Ari

Haven't decided...OK, I know, that's a silly statement :eek:

It's a long story. I decided to treat myself to something a bit special for my 50th birthday (last Autumn). As has been said elsewhere, I've played Fender copies and low end basses for most of my life and now want something to be proud of.

I set about collecting a few quid together - which took longer than expected - and now have about £800 available.

When Warwicks hit it big all those years ago, and everyman and his dog owned a Thumb, I promised myself that, oneday.........

Having said all that I've never actually played a Warwick. For various domestic reasons I can't go out looking for instruments. I'd like to think a second hand fretless BO Thumb was within my reach.

As a slight deviation to Warwick, I'd also considered Deluxe fretless Jazz and have a slightly-possible deal in progress for a second hand Yamaha TRB6IIP.

Zen

I nearly tried Leeds for a Jazz. We've got Academy in Notingham (they're a Notts firm, after all).

Johnny

Thanks. I'll follow that link.

John

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd definitely try to get to play one before you lay out money - I used to like the look and sound of Warwicks, but when I actually tried them, the necks were too chunky (thick from front to back)for me and the Thumb bass in particular, is noted for neck dive, which makes it very uncomfortable on long gigs!! :meh:

14. Yes. Thanks Bruce (How are you, BTW).

Yes. I've heard all that, too, and it concerned me. I think a chance will come up V soon to try one, which I will take.

Just at the moment I'm at the info gathering stage so I'll know exactly how and which way to jump when the times presents itself.

thamks for your trouble.

:D

John

15. Bruce Lindfield

Hi John - just back from an "activity" holiday - feeling very good thank you.

I think the Streamers are better-balanced than Thumbs and are probably better basses if you can find one with a reasonable neck - there's a second-hand Streamer Stage in a local Brighton shop at around your budget which would be good value - but probably too far to check out - but just as an idea of the sort of thing you can expect to find - there are quite a lot of them about, so don't let anybody con you into pushing the price up because they are rare or exotic!! ;)

16. Glad you're OK, Bruce.

Is there, then, a known neck problem with that bass?

17. It appear Machester is the place to be for Warwick, the bass Ctr has a good stock and Warwick have opened up Warwick UK in Manchester after the demise of MAD!

Tony

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well - Streamers do vary and Warwick have been producing them for a long time. I do like the sound I have heard others getting and went looking for one a few years ago - but every one I tried in various shops was very poor on playability for me, due to the thickness of the neck - that is back to front (not width!!).

They felt very awkward and made my left wrist ache after only 15-20 minutes of playing them - a problem I don't have with basses with flatter neck profiles.

Anyway - I can accept that it may be a personal preference thing - but just wanted to stress that it is vital you try the bass, for this reason, before buying it.

19. Yes. Accepted on all counts.

When you said, "reasonable neck" I (wrongly) assumed you meant there was some mechanical problem, eg, twisting, warping, rather than it's thickness and the effect on the wrist.

Sorry.

My error. :D

John

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    John, why not try the Academy of Sound here in Nottingham? The one I used to visit when I studied in Stoke-on-Trent usually had one or two Warwicks in stock. It's possible that the Notts branch could arrange to get some stock in for you to have a look at.

DB

EDIT: A quick Google search throws up:
    The Music Inn - 30/34 Alfreton Road, NG7. www.themusicinn.co.uk

Guitar Base - 24 Gordon Road, West Bridgford

Guitar Notes - 44 Nottingham Road

Wayne's Guitar Shack - 376 Carlton Hill, Carlton

http://www.city-visitor.com/nottingham/musicalinstruments.html