1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buying advice - pairing a cab with a mag evo2 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toypadlock, Aug 22, 2012.

1. toypadlock

toypadlock

Aug 22, 2012
    hi all - just a quick amp question. i'm sick of having to scrounge amps from other bands playing at gigs so i thought it'd be good to get my own.

i've got my eye on an ashdown MAG 300H Evo 2 head, which I could get for just under £200. i think that'd be powerful enough for my uses - as whenever we play larger venues they've got good PAs into which we can DI.

but i'm looking at cabs for around the same price and there are a variety, to say the least! i'm inclined to get the same make, though i don't know if that's important. the ashdown ones available for the same-ish price are:

Ashdown MAG 115 Deep Cabinet EVOIII
    Ashdown MAG 115 Deep Cabinet (Evo II)
    Ashdown MAG 210T Deep Cabinet
    Ashdown MAG 210T EVOIII
    Ashdown VS-115-200 Cabinet
    Ashdown MAG 214T Deep Cabinet

any of these the sort that would pair nicely? if it helps, my band have a sort of washington hardcore influenced sound. not bothered in sounding perfect, just want to be heard!

2. I would grab your bass and go try that head with all the 115 cabs you have listed. Find one that sounds good to you, then buy two of them. Stack them vertically and rock out.

3. toypadlock

toypadlock

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks, but current budget means i can't really go above £400 (in total). though part of the thinking behind getting a head/cab instead of a combo was so i could expand upwards if i need to in the future.

4. Then find which ever cab on your list (I recommend checking out 115's) suits you best tonally. When you need more volume add an identical one. One 115 should carry you through light to medium duty gigs and practices. If you are playing with Thor the drummer, and gui****s that have everything set to 11, you will need more (Or they less).

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Complete agreement with cl400peavey's advice.