Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buying advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevinod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the bass world, bought my first last June, along with a Page 20W combo practice amp. I'm starting to play a few gigs, etc. now and am looking at starting to build up a set of gear I can play gigs with.

1) Firstly the config, I'm thinking of going along the lines of getting a head and speaker cabs as it would give me the best flexibility for upgrading. However one shop reckons the more popular way is to get a combo and add on an extension cab.

I'm thinking separate head would be way to go but is there something in what the guy said?

2) My plan is to get a head that would do say 300-400 kinda range, with a speaker cab that would do say 150-200. Would it be easy to blow the speaker in that config?

Or would I be better off to put the initial $$ into the speaker and upgrade the head later on?

3) What would I need to look out for in second hand heads?

4) Any experience with a Peavey Nitrobass?

Thanks lots in advance for any advice you can give me!!

cheers,
    Kev.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    1) Go with head and cab, not combo and cab. As far as "something in what the guy said", no. You'll end up selling the combo and looking for a head later down the road....do it now.

2) Whether you blow the speaker has nothing to do with $$$, so no.

3) Make sure you play through the head before you buy. Take the time to scope out all of the features, ports, etc. Also, drive the gain to see how the tube(s) (if any) respond. You may need to swap preamp tubes if it's used.

4) No. I am a long time Peavey basher, but to be fair I have heard they make some good stuff now.

3. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Thanks for the info! I was talking Watts not $$$ on 2) though, any idea on that?

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sorry, I assumed $$$ for some reason.

The numbers you gave vary pretty far, but assuming the head/cab resistance (ohms) is equal, the rig would work just fine. Just listen for when the cab begins to distort and back off. Many people like to overpower the cab (to a safe degree) with a big head.