1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying American Amps for UK and coverting the voltage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scriv, Feb 21, 2008.

  1. I'm currently looking at buying an eden wt550 and a eden 410xlt cab from a site in america but im confused about buying a step up transformer, ive looked at a few and it seems you need to buy one that will support the wattage of the eletrical appliance (makes sense!) so this cab puts out an absolute maximum of 960watts so does that mean i need to buy a step down transformer that supports up to 1000VA? Alot of my friends seem to think i just need to buy any old one as it will only convert the voltage and the wattage doesn't come into the equation but im scared of blowing my new rig to smithereens! If anyone could shed some light on this subject for me that would be great!

    Also if anyone knows about additional costs besides shipping and import tax that would be much appreciated. Many thanks!
  2. BassyBill

    BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    IF you need an external transformer, then you need one that will handle the rated power CONSUMPTION of the head (this is not the same as the power output, and has even less to do with the power rating of the cab). You'll need to find out this, maybe from the manual or directly from Eden - good luck.

    That said, some amps are switchable for 230V operation anyway, without a transformer (or to be more accurate, their own internal transformer allows this option). Check the manual for the Eden to see whether this is the case.

    EDIT - expect to pay 17.5% VAT of the "value for customs" (ie, the price + shipping) in VAT and about a third that much again in other duties. For example, on a P bass that I bought here on TB, the price and shipping worked out to £538 and I paid another £121 in VAT + other duties.
  3. +1 on what bassybill said.

    For the cab, because of the size and weight, it might be cheaper buying one here.

    And as for costs, here it is, more or less:

    Import tax (~3%, just under i think for this stuff) on the Item and Shipping
    VAT (17.5%) on the Item, Shipping and Import tax
    "Handling Fee", generally under a fiver i think.

    When im looking at buying something from the US, generally add on about 20%, its a rough measure, but usually not too far off the mark.
  4. BassyBill

    BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good news - the manual on the site says it can be configured for 230V operation (in other words, the amps fitted with a switchable internal transformer rather than different ones for different markets) so you don't need an external transformer, although the manual does recommend getting a tech to do the voltage change for you.

  5. thanks so much for all your help!

    it seems like alot of cost an effort to buy something from america also so im thinkin of just sticking to the UK now, i reckon ill end up not saving that much money in the end!
  6. You might be surprised :)

    But just keep an eye out
  7. BassyBill

    BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There are big savings to be made buying from the US, especially with the current £/$ situation. But you need to do your homework and take all the factors into account, not least of which are warranty considerations.
  8. Yes. I just moved a WT550 to Australia. Instructions for voltage conversion are on the inside of the case. Saved a bomb.

    (very dangerous.... be careful.... qualified technician.... etc etc...)
  9. thats cool, yeah i guess its something you can't do overnight! I know im just really impatient when it comes to these things ha even though i know i shouldn't be. Thanks again!

    I've found a used WT550 at the bass center for £549.... what do you guys reckon??
  10. Limlam


    Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I live in the US now alot of friends back in the UK who buy from american sites get them sent to me then i pass them on wrapped in gift paper with a card, usually gets away from the import tax etc but i dont know how easy it would be with head and cab thatd be a pretty damn nice gift to receive.
  11. While that used to work well, on anything over a certain value, it didnt matter if it was a gift or not.

    I think they have done away with it entirely now (tho im not completelly sure), im pretty sure anything over ~£30-£40 gets hit with it unfortunatley :(

    (On saying that tho, sometimes things manage to sneak by :hyper: )
  12. zyb


    Mar 20, 2017
    i brought back a fender 40w rumble amp back with me from montreal. My friend didnt realise it was foriegn power and just plugged it in with an english kettle lead, now it seems to be busted. Does anyone know what is wrong and what i need to do?

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.